1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jreiff, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

At the point of the year again that we need to replace the tires on the 2 Bobcat's. Seems like we only can get a year out of the, and they are bald. Anyone have any good suggestions on what tires are best? Long lasting? We have tried getting the tires re-tread/ capped, they say they last longer and is cheaper, but we wore threw those alot faster.

Saw a paving compnay had truck like tires on their Bobcat. Wonder how they would last and do in dirt, clay, mud, snow?? Anyone tried these out?

Would love to here what other people have or suggest what is good or bad. Thanks
  2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Solideal makes a tire called lifemaster or something like that. They have a truck like tread (not good in mud but ok on dirt and pavement). They also have a real stiff sidewall. I actually finished a job with a flat one time and I could barely tell it was flat.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Who recapped your skid steer tires I'am surprised you wore them out faster than a new tire.

If your running on pavement alot you may want to run a Forklift tread pattern which is bigger flatter lugs.
  4. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I will have to look and see who i had recap the tires. But yeah, wore through them pretty fast. Recaps would start to tear off and fall off.

All Ferris, that is what i was talking about. Do you like the tires? How much did they cost? Have you ever plowed snow with them?

How long are your tires lasting?
  5. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The King Kong is a forklift tread it will work good on pavement and dirt the Hulk would also be good on pavement. The one building supply I used to work at is a pretty tight confined yard they used to go through a set of forklift steer tires every 4 months or so in the summer time. Running on warm pavement peals off tires like you wouldn't beleive.

If the tires were recapped by Bandag I doubt you would have troubles with them as they recap loader tires etc never have a problem with them. A tire on a 992 Cat wheel loader sees some abuse.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We have Galaxy Beefy Baby II's on our 216, excellent tire. We will be buying Galaxy next time around.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

The tires were on the machine when I bought it so I don't know how much they cost or how many hours were put on them b4 I got it. I did use this machine to plow snow for about 200 hours and they were fine. I bought the machine from an asphalt company so you can imagine how much they run on pavement. I put about 250 hours on these tires and did not notice any wear b4 I traded it in. They are fine on pavement, dry dirt, rocks, and snow. However, they phukin $uck in mud! I traded this machine in on this (much better in mud):