bobcat track machines are a joke!!!!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rollingo16, Nov 24, 2005.

1. rollingo16

rollingo16 LawnSite Member

I have been a diehard bobcat guy for a long time. I have owned several bobcat tire machines and love them. I do concrete work and needed a track machine because of the muddy conditions when it rains ect. I purchased a new T250. And I think it is completely useless when there is mud. The problem is the bobcat design with the body going around the rear track. The machine clogs with so much mud it will barely move. If you clean out all the mud it has power till it gets filled with mud again. Does anyone have this problem? I am thinking of buying a 185 or 190 New Holland. I tried one out yesterday in very muddy conditions and it worked great and never clogged at all. The frame is different so it is clear all the way around the track. Any thoughts???
    :dizzy:

2. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

I routinely bury my Cat 277 in the mud and it doesn't faze it a bit. The other track systems are a joke...too short, narrow and ride like buckboards. Furthermore, the 277 will float on the snow which may be a consideration based on your location

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I think there's something wrong with the machine... either that, or the mud you work in is very special. There should be no reason a T250 would start to bog down and another CTL not (in the same mud).

But before I trust entirely on what may be thin ice, do you have pictures of the T250 before and after this mud escapade?

4. rollingo16

rollingo16 LawnSite Member

I do new residential concrete work, so the lots have been scraped so the top layer is more clay than black dirt. The problem is the metal flap behind the rear of the track. That area fills up with mud/clay and the machine looses alot of power. It I clean it out it runs fine. The sides of the track do not clog up just the back. The New Holland I run is completely open in the back not like the bobcat. My bobcat rep is getting some scrapers to mount on the machine to try to fix the problem. He also said Bobcat is has been loooking at changing the problem for a while. Also if I dont clean out the mud, the next day the mud dries and wears on the sides of the track, you can smell rubber burning.

5. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

I'd ask a customer who has been impressed with the power of the T250... I may be overestimating the T250, but I find it very difficult to believe that the machine is set up correctly. (I'm not doubting your story... sorry if I mucked that point -- I just don't believe a T250 would bog down so much due to mud buildup.)

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u have never seen clay then i know in pa i have clay that will stop a dozer let alone a little bobcat
    it is like glue sticks to everything if u walk in it your boots get 4 inches taller and on tired machines it will stop all work under some conditions

7. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

May well be... but if a dozer will get bogged down, then any other CTL should have problems as well. His story is that NH gets the job done. So if someone can and Bobcat can't, I think it's the configuration on the machine. (Given what information has been provided; eg, the scenario wasn't that one day after a 5" rain, the Bobcat gets bogged down; two weeks later with no rain, the NH doesn't. I believe his story and yours -- just not the setup on the T250!)

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I just picked up a used T190 and moved around about 30 yards of soil in a yard that had turned to muddy soup after all the rain we had. I had absolutely no problems at all. In fact, I was thrilled with the performance because I know the tires would have gone absolutely nowhere but deeper into the mud. This was a nice loamy/clay mix too. Maybe different than your conditions, cut worked great for me.

I demoed an ASV RC-60, but went with the Bobcat for several reasons, most notably it's ability to carry around a lot more weight than the ASV. I do believe the ASV tracks, and joystick controls are superior to Bobcat, but that isn't what was most important to me right now.

9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

ive only rented a t190 twice for about a week each. One on job it was fantastic, the other job which did have some clay it seemed to bog down. the machine didn't get stuck but it seemed it lacked power and didn't want to move some times. my first thought was that the rental place had some type of governor on the engine or something but they didn't. i never paid attention to the tracks though i thought it was just conditions i was in. it could have happened to a cat, deere, etc. i don't know, but that was my experience....

10. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think that the problem with the rental T190 bogging down could have something to do with it not having a turbo to give it the extra power? Just throwing out a thought.