bobcat tree spade attachement...how does it work?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SouthernYankee, Nov 29, 2004.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if the bobcat tree spade attachment is any good at digging small tree and shrub holes? thanks

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure I'd use it to dig holes exclusively, but it works fine. I've used a 36" Bobcat spade, and it does a good job of digging trees and larger shrubs.

One of these days, we'll be far enough along on our wall re-build that I'll post some pics and one or more will be of the digging process using that spade.....

Any other specific questions?

Dan

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We have a spade that we use with our S220 but it is not bobcat brand.

Its a great tool ...digs up to 36" rootball.

4. SouthernYankee

I was just looking to make it so that I can pretty much start a big whole for large shrubs or trees, so that It would be easier for me to dig it out. I would be using it for mostly trenching and digging starter holes for plantings. would it work well for this application?

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use an auger for that purpose. Much faster to drill a few holes, plus I'm sure an auger is cheaper. Plus, the Bobcat spade is ~4-5' wide at the top. Not a lot of manueverability with it....

Unless you are thinking of getting into the nursery business, get an auger instead.

Dan

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i agree, i think the auger would be better

7. SouthernYankee

Sorry guys, I had called what I was talking about by the wrong name. Its called the digger, on the bobcat website. what doy ou think about that attachment?