1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat w/ fb460v Kawi, Pulley removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fboncore, May 21, 2008.

1. fboncore

fboncore LawnSite Member

I need help w/ my bobcat ransomes 36 w/b mower. 12.5 kawasaki.
    The motor has developed a knock after sunk carb float filled the oil w/ gasoline.
    I have a briggs 12 horse to replace it with, but I cannot figure out how to remove the pulleys on the engine shaft.
    Is there any special way to remove them? I removed the spring and tried using a puller on the variable speed pulley and managed to crack the pulley w/o even budging it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the briggs motor I have has a 1" or 1.25" shaft, does anyone know if there is a way to make the bobcat pulleys fit, or know of a place I can get pulleys for the Briggs?

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

did you remove the set screw or screws?
  3. fboncore

fboncore LawnSite Member

I couldn't find any set screws. I'm pretty sure there aren't any on there.
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah. There are.

Cut the shaft with a torch. Get a pulley that will fit the new engine.
    And if you're going to put a Briggs on a commercial mower, it better be your "backup" unit.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

He's right on the screws, now your screwed. The original pulleys are 1 inch , get same replacements. I put a Kawasaki 14 on my Bobcat 36 it also has the same shaft.