Bobcat wb pros & cons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michigangrass, Mar 7, 2003.

1. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

Hello everyone

I've been looking into the new Bobcat wb. Can anyone give me any feedback - pros & cons?

Thanks in advance

2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Bob-Cat and love it. Truth is, the top 5-10 commercial wb's will all do a good job. Personal preference on grips, dealer cooperation and price are probably the most important factors nowadays.

3. michigangrass

hi Tony

Thanks for the response. The reason I was asking was due to a posting on another forum, see below:

"They used to be owned by a company called Ransomes, now Textron owns them. When I first got it, we were having problems with it so we took it back and they said that the spindles needed to be replaced. The dealer told me that this was the 5th one that month brought back for this reason and that Bobcat had to send a rep out to check out the situation since so many had to be replaced. "

I did like the Bobcat but wanted feedback from Lawnsite before going any further.

Thanks again

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

bobcats are great machines. 60%+ of the wbs around here are bobcats.

5. michigangrass

Great!

Thanks MacLawnCo, thats what I was wanting to hear.

6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I have used many and there great mowers...

about the same percentage around the area I cut lawn in. Bloomfield Hills & Birmingham

7. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a 1981 ransomes bobcat lol and it works great for my back up mower and is very dependable starts ever time and my snapper bagger fits right on it. The guy I bought it from said he rebuilt the moter on it in 95 or so.

8. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

I have heard only good things about bob-cat wb.
    BUT, when I bought mine I had problems, brake noise that would wake the dead was the worst prob.
    The dealer did not stand behind this product at all.
    hard starting was another *****.
    I will fix it myself this season. Good luck

9. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Well im a bobcat man! I love the Z mowers they stripe excelent,and are very dependable mowers.The walk behinds are good as well but they are just sooooo long.I guess that is my only problem with them.Ill probably run bobcats forever:cool: I hope this helps!!!

10. lawn4life

lawn4life LawnSite Member
    from SD

I bought a new 36 inch bobcat in 1999. It is a gear drive with a 11 horse kawasaki motor. The motor runs great, but was way too low of HP. We buy only exmark now. I haven't checked out the bobcat's since '99. Maybe the hydro's work well, but I wouldn't reccomend one like mine to anybody.