1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat wood chipper

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Feb 1, 2007.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Have any of you guys used a Bobcat wood chipper? I am considering getting a Vermeer unit that will do from 6-10" material or wondering about the unit that Bobcat sells. The bigger one they have will do upwards of 8" the literature says. Just looking for feedback. Thanks
  2. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a WC-8A Bobcat chipper. (only b-cuz it was was one of the 8 high $$ attachments that came with my used BC) It is pretty good, most productive on 4" and below, bit tough to jam lots of small stuff, with bigger stock. (single feed roller that defaults to the largest chunk going through, at the moment). BTW, we don't have very hard wood, PNW, west side - rain forest...

I can see an advantage to a feed conveyor as well as roller to keep chute feeding. It is also fast to move from pile to pile, if that is your scenerio

downside... It adds hours to your machine, AND it is not real productive to tie your machine up chipping when it could be making $$ collecting more brush:) + it is pretty expensive to operate (2 gal fuel / hr + depreciation on the skid)

Ultimately my chipper would be run off the aux. HYD of a 'hook lift' truck, or off a remote HYD power unit, filling empty drop boxes while the hook lift truck was making more money toting something else.

Last week in Boise there was a renewable energy (bio-mass) conference and one of the presentations illustrated a hook-lift that would carry 3 nested drop boxes onto a site, and it also had log bunks to haul out the marketable timber while a crew filled the containers w/ woodwaste for power generation . (hog fuel)
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

How much does a Bobcat wood chipper cost?
  4. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

probably $6,000 > $7,000
    It's a pretty good sized unit
  5. Kubotaman

Kubotaman LawnSite Member

I think Bearcat makes that chipper for bobcat.

echo now owns bearcat.

8 inch chippers dont like large materal works best with 4 inc or smaller.