Bobcat work...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HEM, Jan 15, 2007.

1. HEM

HEM LawnSite Member

Hey guys here's a little background. I'm 20, I am a sophomore in college. I mowed lawns for the last 4 years and made a killing doing it. I even contemplated not going to college, but eventually my parents convinced me and I'm now a pilot building time, and I'm hoping to fly for a charter airline upon graduation. Anyways, I terribly miss mowing and working outside with equipment. I def. have the desire to get back into the business but I want something that will allow me to work year round but not keep me in town (like mowing lawns would.) I want the freedom to travel and schedule my own jobs, so I'm thinking about a skid steer/Bobcat (or CAT) business. What kind of prices can you charge? I know it differs by the area, but what's an average hourly charge? Also, I ideally it would be me and only me working with one skid steer, one trailer and one truck. (I have none of the three, as I sold my truck and trailer for school, BIG MISTAKE!). Anyways, what kind of advice would you older guys have for this 20 year old. Thanks.

Chandler

I should also add that I work 40 hours at the airport doing cargo and fuelling planes for airlines and GA aircraft. So, I would want something that gives me the flexibility to work my business during the weekends and while not at school and my full time gig.

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

If you're good with it you can make 800 bucks a day in New York

3. Tiller1240

Tiller1240 LawnSite Member

I'm not too sure what you would get for summer work, but up this way bobcat operators are getting anywhere from $150-250/hr for snow removal work in the winter months. Good luck to you...

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Buy a bobcat right now, insure it to the absolute max for everything, paint a huge sign saying RENT ME! 200.00 a day. it cost 300 at taylor rental for a day at the bobcat dealership it is 325.00 a day their days are 8 hrs. You renting it for 200 a day undercuts the bobcat dealer and taylor rental by so much money it would be a Very BAD business decision for any landscaper or other contractor to NOT rent from you. as soon as the word is out it would be out 24/7 for a 5 or 7 day week that is 1000 or 1400 dollars income way more in 1 week to cover the payment, the bob cat would be paid for in full in less than a year.

You are welcome to do this BUT don't even think of doing this within 40 miles of me.

5. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good idea..till Joe homeowner rolls it over his kid...then---insurance or not, you better run....you better hide...

6. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

thats not a bad idea! but yeh good point about the stupid people. but still, i dont think u could be help responsible for that. thats a really good idea. around here the bobcat rentals are 250 a day. and only two companys offer it.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

the insurence is not for the operator, the insurence is for fire theft and damage. I am not responsible for careless operating anymore than Taylor rental is when renting to joe homeowner or herts rental car is for a renter drunk driveing. I have listend to all this before My sister for exhample look at that they just beat the hell out of it. I just keep a smile and say so what, I expect that.