Bobcat-yes or no

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, May 5, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer has a w/b bobcat 36" on the floor. Price is good. Was wondering on thier quality of design, cut, and other pitfalls or compliments people can give them. I need to purchase something soon, so I'm very interested in any comments on any w/b's out there as well.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Friend bought a hydro 36" that's not too bad. Hard (for me) to walk behind it, with it much off neutral....deff. needs a sulky.
    He gave 2,500.00 used at his dealer. (Kohler 13HP elec. start)

3. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

i have a 48 bobcat, belt drive, cant complain..... i just used my buddies brand new 2004 bobcat, 48 belt drive, its a huas...the only complaint i really have from it is the way the thumb controls are set up, they seem a little closer to the handle, and the way i rest my hands/thumb on the grips, my thumb got caught inbetween the grip and the little thumb/switch/neutral/parking brake thingy....... yea........

bobcat mowers leave an awesome stripe i think, better than a lot of other mowers out there..... just my .02

4. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

LOVE MY BOBCATS!!! Just make sure that one that you are looking into isn't the "classic" type, make sure its the commercial duty one. The classic usually comes with a kohler engine and has a single belt for the wheels instead of the double cogged belt. I have 3 brand new bobcats and i have used them as my walk behinds for years and i would buy nothing else. Especially now with the larger frame and big rear tires. You'll be happy with it. Good luck.

-Rich

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

OMG we had a bobcat for 10 years and it was the best cutting 36" mower we have ever used. It was the classic!!!!!! Yeah it wouldnt pull a velky but omg we should have never sold it! People preach EXMARK EXMARK and yes they do cut good but IMO exmark doesnt hold a candle to the quality of cut that a boncat produces!

6. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Bobcats are excellent machines, thats all we use-- (2) 48"belt drives, (1)36"belt, (1)32" belt, (1) 52" ztr all have kawasaki engines they hold up well and cut nice. we change the oil on our kawasaki's less than we should once every 5 weeks and they all hold up. One "48 been running since 1997.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My Bobcat "classic" was my favorite machine. Much better build than than my Exmark viking double pulley P.O.C. IMO. Better bushings , better bearings, everything. I think Exmark has improved much to their credit and I just bought a 36 TTHP because of the deck baffling and ECS. Best cutting machine on the market that I have seen, but I have not seen recent floaters from everyone.

8. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running my 3rd Bobcat 48 wb. the first 2 were the variable speed belt system, my newer one is a hydro.
    They give great cut, and are extremely dependable.
    The hydro is worth the money. no pushing up hills in wet conditions.
    I broke the tabs off the thumblocks on mine so it is easier to use, more like the style on my old classic from 1982.

9. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

how long have bobcats been made?anyone know a good dealer in upstate ny?

10. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

cntryboymc - go to www.jacobsen.com and click on the bobcat mower. Then you can locate a local dealer with your zip.