1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat ZTR no right side drive

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CT18fireman, Feb 16, 2008.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bobcat ZTR with a 25hp Kawi. It has about 2000 well maintained hours but has been used as backup, secondary for the last couple years. It was working well when we parked it in the corner this fall. Went to move it today and no right side drive. The pump whines like it is working.

So far I checked all the lines are tight. Releif valve is closed tight. Checked the linkages and they are tight and not binding. Jacked unit up and wheel turns fine by hand no clicking or catching it feels just like the left side. When you engage it in the air the wheel operates forward and back. I ran it this way thinking it had air in it but after 30 minutes I could still stop the wheel from turning with my hands and on the ground it will not turn. In the air the pump has almost no whine until it has resistance from the wheel then it whines. The left side is working fine.

I was going to change the fluid again before spring. It was done last at 1500 hours. This machine is really in good shape so if I have to put a pump in it I am fine with that just want to be sure.

Before I spend the $400 on a pump etc what else should I check? Or is it the pump?
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing you did'nt list as checking was the belt/tension on the belt and the input pulley mounted on the pump shaft. Most of the pulleys are keyed on a straight shaft and locked down with set screws. A few are keyed onto tapered shafts with lock nut holding them down and I have seen both styles loosen up and break the key. Just a couple more things to check before you move onto the pump itself.
  3. CT18fireman

Good Point. I did check the belt. It is spring tensioned. Its tight but I can push on it enough to stretch the spring. Belt itself seems fine. I will have to check the pulley, I know it has a large nut on the bottom of it. I will have to see if the key is in place. Maybe just pop it off to verify.

I do know that the belt makes less contact with this pulley then the left side pump. On the left side the tensioner makes the belt wrap more then half way around on the right side it is far less. As I said though it is spring tensioned and has worked for years.

I will take a look tomorrow. Never had a pump go on a ZTR used to have the hydraulic trans go on Grasshoppers though. Is the pump more often the culprit or wheel motors?
  4. MowerMedic77

The pumps are more common to fail.
  5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Will this be any help? :drinkup:

6. MowerMedic77

I always use the spring as my guide for belt tension, if the coils on the tension spring are all touching and have no gap between them then in most cases its time for a new belt.
  7. CT18fireman

Good thought I will take a look at the spring.

I have the J-thomas catalog. Right now I am still diagnosing, once I find the problem then I will look for repair. Probably just get a new pump and then rebuild that one as a spare. Got to flush out the system, change the fluid and filter etc either way. Just want to be sure it is the pump that it bad.
  8. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Did someone by any chance open the bypass valve??? If it is open a little it will mimic what you are telling us.......
  9. MowerMedic77

Here is part of his original quote
  10. CT18fireman

Yeah its tight. I did not get a chance to look over things again yesterday. Had a customer come up for the weekend and find some storm damage on his property and then wanted to watch the race. I will take a look later today as its raining anyway. Just going to recheck everything and check the keyway.

Probably just going to order a pump for it, looking at the diagram I would think that the case gets scored and by the time you order all the pieces to rebuild better to just get a new one. New filter, fluid belt etc.