Bobcat ZTR or Grasshopper 700series input please?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CBlandscaping, Jan 16, 2010.

1. CBlandscaping

CBlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

I want to add another mower for this season and am looking into the bobcat and grasshopper lines. I mow alot of wide open areas and bag clippings 90% of the time so a good collection system is important. I went to my dealer the other day and priced out a Bobcat predator pro 61in w/ kawi 37hp motor and bagger, and a grasshoper front mount 729T 61in w/kubota liquid cooled gas 29hp motor and 25cuft hopper.
    I know these are both two very differnt machines and honestly do not have experience with either of them I dont know if the predator is more machine then I really need it just happened to be what was sitting on the showroom floor, it looks built like a tank and i really like the kawi engine(I have the KAI in my lazer) The grasshopper has a larger capacity bagger which would be helpful on my 14acre account that requires being bagged, and I like that i can put a power broom or possibly a snowblower on the front to make the machine versatile and profitable year round (thats why i quoted the liquid cooled kubota so i could add a heated cab for winter)
    I guess im just looking for some input on what you guys would choose, or any positive or negative experiences with either machine. Oh and the grasshopper would only cost $1500 more than the predator. Thanks in advance

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I will say that the bob-cats are built pretty tough and are actually priced well too. My bob-cat that I'm selling is 5 years old and still in pretty good shape, it'd be better if it had a better engine on it, but its still runs strong. But everything has held up on it really well. The bagging system on it is top notch though, after initial installation you can take it all off within about 1 minute. The bagging system collects very well and is very low profile which makes for better visability and better ability to go under low hanging objects.

I don't know much about the grasshoppers, but I do hear pretty good things about them. Now, you said that you may want to use the mower all year, so with the grasshopper's ability to have attachments, this could be a very good mower for you. Now if you can justify the extra cost of the grasshopper I would probably go with that, if I wanted to use it for year round tasks. But if I was just looking for something to mow with that is good and reliable, I would go with the bob-cat.

Make sure to take into consideration what dealer is better and how far away the dealer is from where you are.

3. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

if you have properties that size then the grasshopper outfront is the way to go, they are so comfortable and smooth, if your gonna be on it a long time there is no better machine for comfort, and that kubota gas liquid cooled engine runs so queit compared to a air cooled, i would recomend test driving both mowers first

4. CBlandscaping

from CT

Thanks for the input, both lines are at the same dealer he just opened up last year and i have built a good relationship with the owner, and he provideds great service so far and also has given me some work. I plan on test driving both machines to get a feel for them but dont know if ill get to actually cut any grass with either before i make my desicion.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

They will both cut grass. I think you answered your own question. I wouldn't even consider the Bobcat, not because it can't cut grass or even bag it but more so that it can't do anything else BUT that.

The Grasshopper cuts very well in northern grasses, bags very well and will open the door to other services like aerating, dethatching, snow blowing, small parking lot sweeping and all the other attachments that will make you money. They work well on hills and are built solid.
    I'd like to add a Grasshopper mower but find it foolish to get until my current mower needs replaced. I demoed a 700 series front mount 5 years ago and loved it. I wish I had gone that route now. Not that my Scag has a problem but more so that it can only cut grass and bag leaves. A front mount mower would fit in well with the accounts I have. The added bonus would be all the attachments that can be used with it.

My next mower will be a Grasshopper.
    I vote Grasshopper. :)

6. ALC-GregH

from PA

Also, with their two tone brown and tan paint, they hide dirt a lot easier. :D

7. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I have a grasshopper in the kabota diesel, i love it, its my third one and know that you would love it. I also do a lot of bagging with it.

8. CBlandscaping

from CT

jasontimm have you had any problems with the diesel starting in the cold? my dealer told me it can be and issue and if I plan on using the machine for snow removal I would be better off with the gas motor Thanks

9. ALC-GregH

from PA

I wouldn't be at all afraid to use one of these on a diesel or gas engine when it gets cold. Don't let cold temps sway your decision on a diesel.
    http://www.padheaters.com/description.html

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Kubota diesels on the Grasshoppers, have engine preheaters. You should have no problem starting it in cold weather. Of course, if you have a heated shop, that makes it even easier. diesel Grasshoppers are sold and used all over the world in cold climates.