bobcat ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Jun 12, 2001.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you all have seen or driven the new bobcat z with the diesel engine. Also do you have any prices on these machines? thanks for the help

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

About 3 weeks ago my dealer loaned me a Bobcat diesel with 60" deck to try for a few days. I currently have a 6 year old Bobcat with 22hp Kohler and 60" deck as well as a 25hp/60" JD, and a 72"/28hp diesel Grasshopper. So, I compared it to these machines. In my opinion, the new Bobcat is under powered. The 2 cyl diesel has no "guts". My old Bobcat mowed thick, wet, weeds and grass better than the new diesel. The diesel bogged down often and i had to slow way down to mow the heavy stuff with it. Also, the 2 cyl. Yanmar is VERY !!! noisy. You must wear ear plugs to run this machine. The dealer said the 3 cyl. Yanmar is smoother and quiter,but it is not yet avail on the Bobcat.I was all set to buy the demo unit if it had performed well,but, Itook it back. I would not recommend it.:(

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you gonna break my buddys heart he just bought it last wk.
    course he has been usine a turf something or other front mt
    so hes probably in love w the bobcat by now.

4. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

:confused:

The man that got me into the business started with a 60" Bobcat. Had it for 2 years and the frame literally cracked on him. I'm not trying to slam the Bobcat line of products, but after hearing that I went for the Lazers. My $.02

Scott

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 19 HP 48" Bob-Cat, and it's very well made, not cheaply built. The frame is very rugged, and the cage around the back of the engine compartment is also.

You didn't mention what model that was, or even where the frame cracked, OR if this guy was really rough on his equipment...

www.ttcsp.com
    www.carswelldist.com

6. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

A good friend of mine has a three year old Bob Cat ZTR 61", with a 25 hp Kohler. He has 500+ hours on that machine, and no problems with the mower at all. The only problem he has had, pertained to the Kohler engine, it periodically knocks and sounds like it about to come apart.
    He also has a Ferris IS 61", with a 23 hp Kawi, that has 400+ hours without any major problems. He feels the Bob Cat is much better built than the Ferris, but much prefers the ride of the Ferris. He also thinks the cut of the Bob Cat is superior to the Ferris. I forgot to mention, he is big, 6'4" tall and weighs 375lbs. The frame of both mowers were intact as of yesterday.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I failed to mention in my previous post that Ilove my old 60"/22hp Bobcat. It has taken a real beating over the past 5 years and never lets me down. Only repair I have ever made is to replace wheel bearings on both front wheels.:)

8. onboard2

onboard2 LawnSite Member

I'm planning on buying a bobcat ztr. I currently have a Ransome 54 " hydro walk behind 17hp Kaw (great machine)!!. I am having trouble deciding between the 61 or 52. Anybody have any suggestions ? I am concerned that some of my residential customers might not like the 61 in their yard. However I have some larger residential properties that would go a lot quicker with the 61. What about cut quality anybody see a difference ? Is it worth the 1400 difference. The dealer says the 61 has a heavier frame and wider tires.
    Thanks this is a great group

9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

You've got to be really rough to crack the frame on a Bobcat. I know because I demand alot from my equipment and Bobcat is all I run. Are they not using the 3cyl Vangaurd (Dihatsu) anymore?

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I love my yanmar diesels in my 455's (JD) and if you can get a Bobcat with a yanmar, go for it because that will be the last mower you may need to own. (See our sponsor forum flex-deck)