1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bobcat ztr's w/ generac engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by npilcher, Feb 17, 2006.

1. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

has anyone seen these yet. I have several w/ kohler engines but wondering about how these hold up. These were 60" cut w/ 33hp generac guardian engines.
  2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know, but I do know that Generac was building the Vanguard engines for B&S at one time.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I've always thought the big Bob-Cats looked like OK mowers.

The one you are talking about is the Predator Pro model that came out in 2004. I was real tempted because of the 33/61 power/cut ratio. But here in North Carolina they are distributed by a company I've had really bad experiences with. Although I have not heard a complaint on them for Bob-Cat, I have on all the other brands and after having been through what I have PERSONALLY it has just left me way too gunshy to risk it.

I think that if you want this mower I would not steer you away from it, but I would highly recommend that you look at the other "flavors" of it instead.

Look at the Jacobsen version and the Woods version instead of Bob-Cat and Bunton.

(Just so you know, Lesco offers these engines too)
  4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

A popular misconception is the Generac was once affiliated with Briggs and Stratton- That is incorrect. To my knowledge B & S bought a division of Generacs generators. Generac engines are fantastic, we have 6 of them, the power and reliability are second to none.
  5. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I have (3) of them. Two 61" w/31hp Gens and a 72" w/33hp and they are 2005 models. All excellent machines. I was down to these or Exmark and choise these only because they were a tad less $$$ and a tad faster and a 2-yr bumper to bumper warranty, including the belts! The Generac is very smooth and has muchas power. They are very comfortable and easy to operate. They are very well built with some thought put into it for replacement parts.

Only thing i have noticed was that it does take a little longer to get used to driving them because the pumps are so quick they can be touchy in the beginning on turns. Other than that they are great machines and should be ranked with the top ZTR's out there.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What's the fuel consumption like per hour?
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I used to work for a Generac distributor, and spent a week at the Generac factory school, I commented that I didn't care for B&S engines. This is when the corrected me and told me that Generac actually made the engines for Generac.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what the factory told me. They even brought in a cutaway Vanguard engine and discussed it's virtues.
  8. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Generac made Generac? hmm sounds fishy to mee:cool2:
  9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

BOB-CAT... The BEST of the Best! I have a Bob-Cat 48" WB and it can't be beat for durability (built like a tank) , quality of cut, stripe, and being user friendly! I have Kawasaki engines on both of my WB's, so I don't really know about the Generac engines. I also have a Toro Proline 36" WB mower which I love, also built like a tank with great quality of cut and stripe! I would definitely look into Bob-Cat or Toro Proline ZTR's (friend has a Toro Z, and loves it too.)!
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

We have sold quite a few Dixie Choppers with Generac engines over the last year or so and I havn't had any problems at all with them. It's my opinion that they are a top of the line engine.
    It could be interesting to see if a Kohler could compete with the one below.