1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcats and Tractors on Turf

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Critical Care, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m curious... when you have to run a Bobcat or tractor over turf at what point should you take precautions so as not to tear things up?

I can see that on turf that is wet and in the shade you could already have two strikes against you, but is there a standard rule for normal turf conditions?
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I would say when you have to continually run and back and forth, say you're building a bed on the other side of an existing lawn and you need to bring in loam, mulch, plants, etc. Even if you're not tearing by turning, constantly running over the grass will do quite a number on it too. If you're simply driving over the area once to get from A to B, you could be ok. Tires and tracks (on skids) are different animals though.

also, if you have to do any turning, you're still likely to damage the turf. It depends on the machine though. Our T190 will still tear the turf when turning by any other method than large 3 point turns, but our lightweight MT52 can do a fair amount of work without distrubing existing grass.

Tractors probably have the advantage on existing grass.
  3. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes and no depending on tire type or 2wd vs. 4wd. Turf tires on a tractor are awesome for minimal ground distrubance, but try doing any ground engaging work and you'll see why more people use industrials. Industrial tires are better for traction and are a happy medium between ag tires and turf tires. Ag tires are the best for max traction but they will tear a yard to pieces if you let them. Of course any spinning tire is going to do damage.

I was just putting in a rock garden yesterday and while using my tractor to tear out the sod/dirt/mulch from existing flower beds etc I dug several holes with the rear tires (2 wd 50HP ag tractor with a loader). Luskliy I was replacing that yard area anyway so it wasn't such a big deal.
  4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Many jobs i have to work this in the estimate that i am going to damage the lawn and going to have to repair it as Mark stated.
  5. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I have seen a tree company use huge mats for when they went into yards with their truck. Would these work for a skid steer?
  6. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bobcat A300 with turf tires the only way to go. Its 4 wheel steer.
  7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering the same thing. In the past, I had to put down sheets of plywood on a school’s football field so that trucks could unload chairs for their commencement ceremony.

And... a Bobcat or tractor with turf tires probably wouldn’t do a very good job of pushing snow, would it?
  8. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have SS tires for snow removal, thats the only way to go!
  9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Whenever possible our T300 Bobcat, when its been wet you need to lay plywood or poly sheets, I've seen those poly sheets but they seem like too much of an investment for the limited time we spend traveling over turf we aren't going to replace/repair anyway.
  10. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a cat MTL :usflag: Thats what we did.