Bodily Injuries and Surgeries from the green industry..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by impactlandscaping, Dec 8, 2004.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you have been doing maintenance/ install / mowing work for any amount of time, you probably have some battle scars to show from it. So far, I have had three herniated discs, numerous lumbar sprains, bi-lateral carpal tunnel surgery, torn ligaments in both knees, and this winter I will be having knee surgery for a medial cruciate ligament repair. My aching knee got me thinking about this... :cry:

2. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

I've barrel rolled my 50" Yazoo 3 wheel mower twice, one 6 weeks ago. Now, I'm having problems lifting my right arm if its extended. They said I've torn my rotater cup. Need surgery now. :cry:

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

had alot of stitches. 120 form a slip with a hedge trimmer,
    the rest were pruning related.
    had a carb spring pop out and tear my sclera (surface of the eye). they had to glue it back on, and i had to wear a patch for two weeks.
    that was fun though, it's the only time you can say aaarrrggg and act like a pirate without being gay.......

4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

One time I was organizing equipment in the back of my truck and I lost balance and put my hand out to brace myself...and my hand landed on the muffler of our Exmark. Huge burn on my hand.
    Another time was mowing around a mailbox, clipped edge of mailbox, and it tore into my finger.
    My brother was mowing around a swing set, and a rope got wrapped around the one handle and squashed his hand. Nasty, bleeding like crazy.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I remember back in the day when we got our first belt drive wb's. I caught my left hand against a tree and the pistol grip. I thought I broke every bone in my hand, but luckily it was just swollen and bruised.

6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

I once heard about a guy who jumped of the back of a box truck and tried to grab the pull rope and slide the door down as he accended to the ground, well he missed the rope but his wedding ring got caught on it and stripped his finger to the bone. Ouch! As for landscaping , I have a real big injury that I refere to as a headache which will be coming to a relieving end as the season closes in about 12 days from now!!!! I cant think of a better way to get a headache though as the biz has been very good to me!

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

30 some odd stitches in shoulder blade (15 inside and about the same outside) from pole saw. Couple pokes in the eye that put me out for the day, but returned within next couple days. 8 or so stitches in palm of hand from box knife.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yea....no rings here. I leave my wedding band at home and only wear it on weekends. I hate jewelery period, other than a watch.

9. the scaper

ahh, heres one I almost forgot about.... Last year I was hitching up a tow behind aerator and stuck my hand between the frame and the tines as i was rolling it forward. well the next tine that came around peeled the skin off my knuckle and I had to go get 10 stitches. LOL !

10. the scaper

Same here!