Body is breaking down from summer grind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm feeling the pain from the summer season. Have a lower back sprain that needs a few days rest to get right but working 6 days a week it won't happen. I've been wearing a lumbar support belt the last week. I guess I'm just wearing down from the summer season grind. Relief is around the corner, (October maybe, definately November). Any of you working with physical ailments and looking forward to some rest?

2. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

All I could say is thank God for Celibrex!!

Dan the lawn care man

3. Hey, at your age you know that it ain't going to do nothing but get worse. I ain't far behind ya. You got to know that the grass game is a young man's game. Maybe time to get that desk job, or like me, plan for early retirement.

4. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Same here bro.
    Back acts up once in awhile also. The brace helps for a few days.
    It's always after I do a lot of shrub trimming.
    This last month or so my right shoulder has really got my attention.I think its from doing the one arm thing when I use the stick edger. Oh well.
    Like ya' said maybe Oct. for a little rest. Nov. for sure!

The 6 days per week thing from May till Nov. can wear a body out.
    (even with exercise and a good diet!)

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I know the feeling . Cant wait for the slow season, my body hurts and I find my myself saying "wasnt I just here?" On every lawn I do. Its a good thing fall is almost here before we go crazy from this heat.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Back aches most all the time, it gets much worse after many bushes. Like one of the other fellas, my shoulder, especially my right one is pretty beat. I am not to interested in heaving grass gobblers full of leaves this fall. Yeah rest would be good, but then there is wood cutting/splitting season, and SNOW!!! I love pulling that blower in and out of the back of the truck 50 times a night!

Jay

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

goto your doctor now. get a diagnosis. if the diagnosis allows it began walkin 20 min a day . specific walking . not at wk.
    lay on your back and do[ 10 to start\
    leg raisers. limit these to what ever extent does not cause unusual pain..
    touch toes 10 to start . again only bend as far as does not cause unusual pain.
    if u are working now . u should be able to do these. if done for life ,they can gradually strengthen u against this type ailment.the key is to start ,and 2 ,is enough as long as u start an continue. sooner or later u hopefully will began to make progress.in fact sooner or later u will began to make progress.last, doing this to music or at a time u normally watch something pleasant. its a form of association that will eventually have u looking forward to the exercize. good luck and no u are not alone in this problem.
    medicate according to doctors instruction.

8. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

With Summer now past hope that you are feeling better. This thread made me think of a walker ad I saw once somewhere about a guy that was happy to be able to cut grass for a living with a Walker because he had no legs. I hope that I am not being disrespectful but I thought about it here.

9. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure the age has a lot to do with it. I had a desk job for 20 years before getting into this. But then I owned my own business at that time too. I don't know of any desk job working for the man that I could do and make anywhere near the money I am now or I would entertain that idea. I am seriously thinking about putting on 1 or 2 young guys next year to take the brunt of the brutal physical drain off me in the summer.

10. TALLEY-HOE

TALLEY-HOE Guest

hey! bassman, Do you have heavy trailer gates or ramps that you are raising & lowering all day. i was having back problems at first of the season. I bought a set of back saver lift cables at Louisville (expo) & now i'm not having the back problems i was having. Don't know if that was the fix, but things have gotten better. I figured anything would help!!!!!! Hope this helps!!