body lift or lift kit?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Kingbman1, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

Whats the difference between a lift kit and a body lift?>

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

A lift kit raises the suspension by using springs, or blocks. A body lift is nothing more than rubber bushings with longer bolts that you put between the truck body and frame, raising the body...Both seriously screw up sterring geometry, and make your truck dysfunctional for any serious work purposes...If you are using you truck for work, keep that junk off of it

3. Kingbman1

I want to make my 2 door blazer 4x4 capable of offroading.

4. UNISCAPER

Ahhh, then go with suspension lift, but don't take it so high your centers of gravity effect the way the truck handles. A body lift will do nothing for suspension, just raise the body higher than the frame.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

your truck is jsut as capable for offroading stock, than it is with 300 ft of lift. why do you want a lift? to look cool? WRONG ANSWER, a lift's purpose is to gain height to clear bigger tires.

bigger tires = more contact area with the ground, therefore more traction.

6. UNISCAPER

Actually, one would use suspension to allow travel when we come off jumps at 120 MPH. With a stock suspension, you would trash your truck. Most off road trucks here are just that, and as soon as you begin to mix business and off road usage, you create something that only works half the time, half as good for it's intended purpose.
    Most Unlimited class trucks now are pushing 850HP and use travel of over 17" front and 14" rear. They are not street legal, and basically worthless for anything other than flying.

So, I guess you need to assess what your real function is going to be here before you even think of lifting it....

7. EagleLandscape

thats only if you were building a pre-runner. aka dune jumping car. the main purpose for lifts is to clear bigger tires.

8. Kingbman1

So basically i could just get a body lift to put bigger tires on?

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Use a body lift on top of a mild suspension lift and upgrade your WHEELS and tires to make your track wider.
    OR,
    If you are not looking to spend alot of $$$ use a 3in body lift and put bigger tires on. It will not affect your steering geometry and will only minimally raise your center of gravity. Your only side expenses would potentially be having your steering shaft lengthened (make sure it's done right) and having your automatic shift rod lengthened (if you have an older K5 blazer) Overall height increase would be a noticeable 4-5 inches.

What worked pretty well for me was a 3in body lift and heavier duty springs front and rear (to minimize body roll) and a wheel and tire upgrade that widened my track by over 6 inches overall. You dont want a tall truck with stock springs and stock track width as it will roll easily and handle badly on the road. My fullsize Dodge sits 7-8inches taller than stock and takes turns better than stock.

10. EagleLandscape