1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Body Lift (plow-related)

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Psyclopse, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Psyclopse

Psyclopse LawnSite Member
    from In

Hey everyone, I'd like your input on something...

My 87 Chevy is a heck of a snow pusher and I don't want to change anything in the suspension or the plow setup. The tires more than fill the openings (they may be a little large for a non-lifted truck, but I like them).

While this thing does what I want it to do, I would like it to sit a little bit higher- cab wise. As I said, I am fine with the suspension setup (including height). Is there any reason why I shouldn't put a body lift on this truck? I know all the things associated with installing them- I have done plenty in the past. I am just wondering if there are any plowing-related issues that might keep me from wanting to do this.

I have a question about the 88 also, but I'll put it in the Chevy truck forum- its not as much plow-related.

Thanks everyone.
  2. Kevin T

Kevin T LawnSite Member

I have a 97 3/4 ton that I put a 3" body lift on...I've had no problems at all with it...it allowed me put 33" tires on it.
  3. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

I had trouble with my 1987 K-5 Blazer because of a body lift . It wanted to overheat because it puts the centerline of your fan too low on the radiator. Of course if you take the time to lower your radiator or fab up a new shroud it probably will be ok. I had troble plowing more than driving down the road with the temp climbing but it was no fun. I ended up having to put an electric fan in front of the radiator to keep it under control. Even though body lifts are initially cheaper you have to worry about extending brake lines,tank filer neck, shift linkage, steering stem,etc. It is relly not worth the aggravation unless you are trying to get some really big meats on there and you have a tall suspention lift already.If I were you I would put a 2inch suspention lift on you can fit 33's no prob but not be up too high for plowing,and it only costs 200 bucks.

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Aside of a possible slight cooling problem, I think the body lift would actually help. It would keep the body from getting damaged while driving around snow piles. I'd say go for it...

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

my experience with a body lift onan 89 3/4 ton chevy

itmopened up the gaps every where to engine ,under bed,wheel wells, etc

now my engine compartment is visibly saltier than before,under beds gets more corrision, and worst is that spark plugs are now a bear to remove because of more contaminate.
    make sure if you do this you make bigger flaps under front inners and make a set for rear too

2" lift
  6. crash22201

crash22201 LawnSite Member

I have a bodylift & suspension lift in my dodge ramcharger. from my expierence they are good and bad. my problem is
    with the plow bouncing around it loosens my radiator
    brackets up and rubs a hole in it. every winter i have
    to replace it after the first snow becouse it gets a hole.
    but i like to be high up so i live with it.
    I got 35's on my truck. it's a plow monster though.
    gotta love it........
  7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I put an extra leaf in both front springs of my 87 Silverado to help support weight of plow (factory setup is not enuf), & put 3" lift in rear springs to make the truck level again. All for under $200. Truck sits up nice, & I have 32"'s on it in winter. Much less work than putting in a body lift, & ride is not much different than factory; a little stiffer, but with the plow on it or trailer in summer, it softens the ride up anyways.
    Suspension lifts are easier & cheaper (labor time involved), & the ride is not much different- that gets my vote.
    Also did the same to my new 80 Chevy shortbed this fall. Love the look of a lifted Chevy.
  8. 9FT.PILES

9FT.PILES Banned

keep your blade low 2 the ground when traveling 2 an fro each job. helps.