Bogarting other threads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Remote Pigtails, May 19, 2007.

1. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I'm combining a couple of threads here:
    The first is the best/worst clock I ever installed. About 15 years or so ago i installed a system at a hotel. I had become a big Rain Master fan because of the remote and decided all my clocks would be RM so I would have a port for plugging it in and could avoid pigtails. unfortunately the maintenance man was a dunce and I had to replace it with two RCs. Been sitting in my garage collecting dust ever since. Never installed a RM again.
    The foot is to annoy purp.

The second is how I've decided to approach drip. After trying various methods and piling up lots of drip clutter I decided this method works best for me and maintains some drip integrity. Each emitter puts out .5gph so if I want 1.5gph I cut out three emitters and circle the plant. If I want 3gph I circle the plant twice with 6 emitters. Yes I'm using press comp. This is my home garden which is basically an irrigation test lab so that is why the netafim is exposed.

the last is the LG logo for those working on their beer labels.

DSCN0395.jpg

DSCN0396.jpg

DSCN0397.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

DSCN0394.jpg

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Never biatched about feet in pictures... just boots. I do have a toe fetish though. :laugh:

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Pigtails, That is exactly how I do drip. I usually snake the 1/2" in close enough that you don't need to run a feeder tube to the loop though.

I've installed thousands of feet of it.

The stuff is really durable.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's a fetish convention! :)

5. Remote Pigtails

Great minds think alike.

6. Remote Pigtails

Also there is another type of 1/4 tube i use called laser soak. It does a better job watering along the whole length of the tube and i use that in loriope or where i have more close in border type planting.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez, we all agree! In larger plants..I've run double loops. Best use for
    what is usually mis-used..oh, oh, I hear SHE firing up!:cry:

The laser stuff I've had problems with algae build-up.

8. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

I like that set-up, and I do use the built-in-emitter line in spots, densely planted with annuals or herbaceous perennials especially, but that stuff is very expensive up here ($1.10/ft. retail), so for trees and shrubs I do tend to use individual emitters, layed out according to the plant's needs. And for what it's worth, I did read last night where our oft-referenced Mr. Stryker agrees with me that PC is only necessary where slope is a factor (rip away, but it makes sense to me, and I've got nothing against spending the extra for PC where it's needed- really long runs could also justify it). Laser line I've had trouble with plugging too. I've actually never seen brown poly like that, is that just a standard line? All ours is black, I mainly use 1/2" 40 PSI poly-drip, looks like that might be a Netafim product maybe?
    As for foot fetishes, I once had a roommated who had spent some time in the SF punk scene. One night, back in the day, a bunch of them were passed out after a party. A few of them were having dreams about their toes being sucked on, until somebody woke up and realized that some guy nobody knew had come in and was going around sucking on a bunch of dirty passed-out punkers' toes! Yum.

9. Remote Pigtails

Yes that is netafim. Here I can get it in green or brown. Blank or with emitters every 12" The blank which is all I buy runs me 12.18/100' and I'll have to find my price on the 1/4" drip line.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OH GAWD! I just cannot believe you people are still living in the dark ages of drip irrigation!!!!
    Have you ever tried working in a garden that has those little frikking lines round and round each plant? Try raking or transplanting or scratching soil amendments around plants that have drip installed like that, it is a gardeners nightmare.
    Also, once your little juniper gets to maturity or even 1/2 way fully grown,
    your circle will be either engulfed by the roots of the plant or it will be choking the plant to death.
    Using a straight 1/4 coupling to punch in your feeder lines shows me your innocence in regards to drip.
    Sorry Pigtails, but you really need to be around a lot of plants and a lot of gardens for a long time and have clients who like to work in their gardens before you, or any of you will ever understand why I say this.