Bogged down backpack...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RyGuyusMaximus, Jul 11, 2008.

1. RyGuyusMaximus

RyGuyusMaximus LawnSite Member

When I fully depress the trigger it loses power and seams to bog down. I've heard it's probably A DIRTY CARB or fuel filter. FYI The backpack blower is 4 years old now and has never been serviced. I'd like to fix it on my own. So any help from you guys would be appreciated.:usflag:
  2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Check to see if there is a spark arrester in the muffler. It looks like a metal screen. Sometimes they get clogged up and it will bog down the motor.
  3. RyGuyusMaximus

4. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

I would also suggest a new air filter and spark plug. After 4 years it's time to put a little back into it.
  5. RyGuyusMaximus

6. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean it's trying to stall ? Or is it running slow and 'lumpy'

As above, do clean/change air filter. If this is blocked it will make the engine run 'lumpy'. Remove the air filter and start and run the machine. Don't do this if the area you're in is dusty, but it will let you know if it's the filter that's faulty.
    As a matter of course do fit a new plug, you'll get a much better fuel burn.

Four years without a service? Shame on you, go stand in the corner for half an hour as punishment. :rolleyes:
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Beyond us telling you what to do, you have to go and do that :p
  8. Impressions Landscaping

Impressions Landscaping LawnSite Member

I had an old Redmax 4401(?) and I had the same problem. Hit the trigger and it would bog or stall, it would idle fine. I replaced the spark plug, cleaned the car, air filter, tried everything
  9. Impressions Landscaping

Impressions Landscaping LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my Redmax 4401(?). It drove me nuts, I replaced the spark plug, air filter, cleaned the carb, I couldnt figure it out for the life of me. I ended up having another spare Redmax blower around with a bad piston and I took the muffler off of that and put it on mine and it still works to this day. The original muffler was badly clogged, and it happened all in about 10 mins one day, it was running full bore all day, shut it off, and no power.
  10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

My Echo did the same thing after i found it on the floor of my enclosed trailer (fell off the rack) within a week it was bogging and running like Sh*t! Well to my surprise i found a crack in the intake and then replaced it with a new one and "BAM" it runs like new again!