Boiling over hydro fluid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone experienced hydro fluid boiling over the resevoir of their Z rider? I had a demo with a Gravely 260Z, and noticed this twice in a day. One time it lost several ounces! The dealer acted like this was no problem, and common when you ran one hard and it did not get a chance to cool down. Anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I had my new 36" leak when it got hot, for a few days. It was overfilled and once it reached the right level it did not happen any more. If it is a demo it might be that.
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 of these mowers. It's no big deal.

It will overspill most when the deck it down and there is no fluid in the lift cylinder.

We added 4" standpipes to the tank vent and it took care of it.

You can drain out a little fluid, too.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

is the hydro cooler working right?
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Look on the reservoir cup. Where is the fill line? On most the reservoir cup is really nothing more than an expansion tank and is not made to be filled up. It only has about 1/2" or so in the bottom. It acts like the overflow on a car radiator. We have this problem all the time with people filling there Walker and Ferris mowers up all the way. I thank some one may just have overfilled it.
  6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I appreciate it fellas.

I don't have the machine with me now so I can not tell where it is. I remember the cap was on extreamly tight, and fluid was coming out of it. The dealer said he was using it the night before on a hill, and thought he lost some fluid, so he topped it off. He was not suprised by my loosing more. I guess I don't understand why it was not at the correct level from the factory. Or why if it was overfilled from the factory that it leaked and the Dealer did not think it would leak to the level at which it should operate, but that it likely leaked more then it should have. If it is overfull, it would seem that it might leak until it was at the ideal, and require no further fluid replacement. Does that make sense?

7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The dealer overfilled the reservoir - when he "dumped" it in the night before.

Actually, he he made a mistake by adding any oil at all to it. The reason it was leaking for him was that it was already overfilled !

Was this machine a NEW 260 Z with the small plastic resevoir tank, or is it an older 260 with the long narrow steel reservoir tank ?

The older steel tank was always being overfilled and it was so long and narrow that the oil level would change radically on a hill. As you went up or down the hill the oil would flow to the end of the tank and and fill up and spit out the breather vent.

The new tanks are taller and in ratio much smaller diameter. This seems to have helped keep the oil from sloshing around and spitting out like it used to do. If this is a new 260 - there is a dipstick under the cap and he must not have looked at it in the dark !
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have to agree with the rest, sounds like it is overfilled. Should only fill it up about 3/4 of the way.
  9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Your the man! It appeared to be an all steel reservoir, and not the new kind. Well, that seems consistant with what happened. The unit was being used as a demo, did not have alot of hours, but must be the older model.

Sam, are you a Gravely Rep? You seem to be very up to date with Gravely.

Can you tell me if I lock the front axle in place, will it give a clean even cut? I had some elevated lines, and I believe they were due to the pivoting axle. Will I be able to mow at top speed with the axle locked as I was able to do with the Axle pivoting, or will there be a big difference in the ride.

Sell me on why I should opt for a Gravely over a Super Z. I am toiling hard over this. Cut quality is the most important, and that is why I am concerned about the uneven cutting that I experienced on graded areas.

Any thoughts are great and much appreciated.

10. jay my thoughts ......get the toro:D