1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bolens 22 in. pushmower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobCat#1, May 2, 2007.

1. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

Are Bolens pushmowers made by MDT good?Good enough only using it a few times a week?Thanks
  2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I presume you mean MTD. I'm just a homeowner, but I'd stay away from anything produced by that company. I'd also stay away from any and all lawn mowers sold by Lowes, Home Depot or Sears. You live in North Carolina! Why don't you drive over to Winston-Salem and pick up a Quick 36?
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

uhhhhhhhhh, doesn't LowesDepot sell Honda??????? a HO Honda might be fine for occassional use by an LCO.......jmo
  4. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

a small pushmower to mow hard to get places u cant get with a rider.What about the weedeater brand wal mart carries?
  5. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i got a 22" mulching mower from sears 2 years ago - 4.5 horse briggs - i use it where the walk behind won't go, which i use where the z won't go - i don't use it much - i hit a small well hiden stump with it last year bent the blade to crap and bent the shaft a little - it shakes some now but i'm using it till it dies - $144 - it is what it is - a discardable item - if i had a $700 honda i would have been crying big tears - it is perfect for what i need
  6. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I agree with petekief. Sometimes, a couple hundred bucks is all you need to spend. I use a residential model 21". This is just an estimate, but, we probably use it 1 hour per week. Not enough to justify the price of a commercial 21". It should last 3-5 years at that rate. As little as $50.00 bucks a year = excellent return on investment.
  7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't aware of that. In fact, I was in Lowes today and looked, but there were no Honda lawnmowers. I saw an MTD-manufactured mower with a Honda engine, but no hundred-percent Hondas. I also saw the Bolens that was referred to, and it was only about $140. I guess I have to agree with the others who posted here in that at that price it's ok to get as a throw-away. But why bring up the topic of how good it is? Does it make any difference even if the answer is ...."not very"?
  8. Buster57

Buster57 LawnSite Member

I have a commercial Honda and until last year also owned a MTD ($75 used).

I have to admit I miss the MTD. Not afraid to use it anywhere. Wheels wore out 1st year then it ended up DOA some time during the second, but I sure liked it a lot.
  9. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

I recently got a Troy-Bilt push mower from Lowes for $240. Has the 160cc Honda ACRS motor, very nice so far. Used it on some thick tall grass (about 8") and it cut right through it. Gotta love those Honda motors.
  10. willider

willider LawnSite Member

I purchased my $130.00 Bolens three years ago and it has been great! It looks like crap now and smokes some but I use it for very rough sections in a few yards. I wouldn't waste my $$$ on an expensive push mower... I just don't use it enough. My Red Max weed eater does most of my trim work! :usflag: