1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bolens Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, May 20, 2003.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 3.5 hp Bolens edger at the beginning of the year. It's been working GREAT untill yesterday. The pin that adjusts the angle of the blade sheered off somehow. I could fix it with a 2" bolt through the side, but that would make it tough to adjust the angle when needed. Besides, it came with a 2 year warranty.

So, I called all the service locations and dealer reps on Bolens website to find out that they don't carry Bolens parts anymore. To make matters even more frustrating, the phone number listed for Bolens just keeps ringing and ringing. No answer at all!

One former dealer thought that Bolens was sold to another company, but had no idea which one. Another said that he heard complaints about Bolens starting around the time Lowe's started selling their stuff. (I didn't even know Lowe's sold 'em)

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy parts or what the story is?
  2. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Bolens????No offense but what did you expect???:eek:
  3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Call MTD, it's essentially the same as the MTD Deluxe model. Bolens was bought out by them. The parts should be interchangable. I was looking at this model as well. Seemed like a beefy unit for the money. I'd be using it for my property only, however, I'm rethinking my future decision due to the issues you are having. Sears has a deluxe model as well that seems to have some great features and solid build quality. I'm also thinking the Mclane model from HD might not be a bad choice as well.
  4. battags

Lakeside, as dwost said, it appeared to be a pretty good unit. I had a gift certificate to the place and needed an edger. I'm thinking of returning it and picking up one by Kees that I saw today. Same engine, 3.5 hp Brigs
  5. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

You guys need to consider a stick edger.
  6. battags

never really thought about it, williamslawn. I haven't seen many people around here that use one. I'll see if I can demo one.
  7. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

are stick edgers really that good? they have half the HP as a walk-behind
  8. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

The Bolens name used to stand for quality and ruggedness until MTD bought the company out. Now they put Bolens on their MTD Yardmachine lawn tractors and push mowers, and the people that don't know better think they are buying a great machine. Too bad MTD had to go and ruin such a good name. :(
  9. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

when you use a stick edger and wonder why you waited so long. i know there are guys that use there string trimmers, i used to be one, but a stick edger will beat a string trimmer or a walk behind hands down, it does for me anyway. get you money back and apply it towards one, you won't be sorry.
  10. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

a1 is correct!!