bollard lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by sprinkler guy, Jan 31, 2008.

1. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

I have a commercial application that requires something sturdy, yet not the typical, hideous bollard light. I've shown the group I'm working with the Nightscaping La Paloma. Half the room loved it, half said it looked like a 2' x 4' with a light on it. The maintenance guys referenced another building on-site that has some bollards (YUCK!!) they liked. I've been tasked with coming up with something similar, but nicer. I need a bollard that is at least 36" above grade and works with low voltage (too late to pull 120v). I'm trying to be in the $200-250 range (my cost) to stay withing our budget. I would love to find something that has a brass accent or detail on the top end. The complimenting pathway lights are Nightscaping Turtles in brass, and the uplights on the trees are FX in ground RPs with brass louvre tops. The bollards are intended to go on corners as a physical deterrent to keep people from cutting across the planter beds. With the amount of knowledge and experience on this sight, I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out. Thanks for any input.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I have catalogs filled with Bollards Sean, but they are all commercial / spec grade units that are not going to fit into your purchase price budget.

Why not increase the budget and do it right? Check out Erco Lighting and Deltalight, even Rudd might have something appropriate.

Remember this... want to build your business, your reputation and improve your bottom line? Use better components, across the board.

Regards.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

4. sprinkler guy

This particular application is tricky on the budget side. The design was done with all Turtles for pathways, and the P.O. was awarded based on the original proposal. The bollard idea was an afterthought. I've also been told point blank that there is no more money for this phase of the project. If I can't make something work well, I'll propose leaving it as the original design, and change it next year when the new budget comes into play. This site is almost 200 acres, so we've already put together a couple of proposals for them to squeeze into next years site improvement budget. I feel like the overall final product won't be exactly what they want if I can't make something happen on the bollard side.

I love projects that require decisons by committee.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Sean, not being privy to the contract or process is a bit of a crutch for sure, but I would advise you to stick with your original agreement. Any changes, substitutions or alterations should come at an additional cost.

I have that strictly stated in my contracts and stick to it. I hope you do to. Trying to fit in an expensive fixture type like a bollard after the fact and stick to budget is pretty near impossible. Don't waffle and install sub-standard materials just to stick to the budget. Install what you first designed and contracted for. Then accomodate their changes later on another contract.

I also have a statement on my contract that the client has participated in a full and complete walk through of the entire system or has declined this as not necessary. Helps to protect you from the client who will come back later and say they dont like a fixture or want big changes made.

Hope things work out for you there.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

the only bollards i know that would come close to your budget are a few from Kichler. Beachside from what i have seen is very well built but quite expensive.

Kim has some too but again your price limitations I would plan ahead on your wiring and infastructure then add on as budget permits.

Kim is sure to have something to please the crowd. Just comes down if they are willing to swallow the price tag.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I have used these in the past when your customer is budget conscience. They are Vista 1413 or just 1400 series bollards. These will fit into your cost range of 250. They work pretty well but the neighborhood kids like to kick them. I have only had one torn out of the concrete base we poured.

saguaro0001_5.JPG

saguaro 014.jpg

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a customer who ran into problems with those... probably because the original installer used them in turf and they were badly damaged by weedeaters/ mowers/ sprinklers in less than 5 years.

Vista covered them under warranty, so the customer went out with his son and installed the replacements but left the original bases (set in concrete) that were corroding badly. :hammerhead:

I'm glad I was only doing sprinkler renovations on that one...

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

These ones are ok. There is no irrigation around them at all so they stay dry.

10. sprinkler guy

Unfortunately Tim, we can't run line voltage to our locations, and the Vista family of 12 volt doesn't offer anything tall enough. Also, these will be hit by the irrigation. I'm getting some numbers from the Beachside guy tomorrow. They are a little outside of my target price (his words), but the all brass construction is pretty alluring.