Bolt grade for blade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Which grade bolt is the best for the blade bolt that holds the blade to the spindle?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Did you get your ZTR yet?

3. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I think most decks use Grade 5, that's 3 marks on the head. You could just as easily use grade 8, that's 6 marks on the head. The 8's would wear down slower than the 5's and would probably cost 50% more. I like to put a little anti-seize on mine and torque them.
    Grateful

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The bolts that come with it should be heavy enough. As Bob said, did you get it yet?

5. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

What size bolt does it come with and also what size blade is on the machine. Does it have a blade saddle or is it friction held. I would assume it comes with a grade 5 at least that is what most manufacturers use as standard hardware.
    mowingmachine

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with grade 8. Better to be safe than sorry. Pick'm up at any hardware store or Home Depot.

7. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Grade 8 is a much harder bolt then grade 5 but that is why I asked the question about blade size and whether it is supported in a saddle or friction held. Being a harder steel means a more brittle steel that when shock loaded will crack instead of bend. Basically a harder steel is more brittle and not as flexable. If the bolt is say 1/2" or greater I would be satisfied and feel safer with a grade 5 bolt. I would rather stretch or bend a bolt then break one. Just my thoughts.
    mowingmachine

8. Vibe Ray

Yes Mowing machine, that is what I am talking about....Which grade is the best combination of hardness and softness for a mower blade. Grade 8 is not necessarily better than a grade 5 in all applications. That is why I am asking which grade is the best for LAWNMOWERS.
    MowingMachine or anyone else who knows, it is for a Lazer HP not quite sure yet what the bolt size is, so just name the best grade for all the possible size bolts for a mower blade bolt
    Thanx!!!
    Bob, I should get it in about a week......can't wait!!!

9. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

grade 5 for exmark, that is what came from the factory on both of mine. I have bought extra bolts that are 1/2 in. longer for double blades and the regular lenth. IN both cases I purchase grade 5.. I am sure exmark did research so I am sticking with what they use.

10. Vibe Ray

Thank you Ssouth......anyone else?