1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bonding, Licensing.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Feb 22, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

I would like to know how many of you are bonded. I see some of the competition have "Bonded" on there trucks. Also how many are licensed applicators for pesticides and herbicides? Correct me if I am wrong but I think in Indiana you need not be licensed for FERT application unless its liquid.

I have contacted my state chemist, and its holy hell getting licensed. First you take a small written exam, then you have to have 9 months of full time work with someone who is already licensed before I would qualify to take the final exam. I can't work for someone else for 9 months!!! My business will be gone!! Obviosley if your from IN you'll know more about the local laws and programs. I would like any insite or advice you have on this.

One final question and I will leave you in peace. What government office do I go to in order to list my business??
    I have been in business for five years but never "listed it". Thanks Joe
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The best advice I could give you on working for someone else to get the necessary qualifications for your Applicator's License is to find someone to sub-contract it to who will teach you the ropes and allow you to do it WITH them. This way you are learning on your OWN properties and it is that much less clients have to worry about as far as the "Whos Doing What?" goes.

Thats how many contractors who have been self-employed are doing it these days to get the training they need without having to quit their day job. Afterall, you would have to schedule the time in if you were going to do it yourself anyhow.

Hope this helps.