Bonehead move of the day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, May 16, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I filled up my gas can of 2-cycle stuff the other day. I ALWAYS put the mix in before the gas, but apparently I didn't this time. Today, after using the blower for a few, I stopped and realized what I did. I ALMOST had a stroke!

Please tell me I'm not the only one out there that has done this.

Think any damage was done?
  2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

not if the blower still had some
    mixed gas in it
  3. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Seen a fella stick his hand into a running lawn mower to clear the discharge chute.

Luckily he never lost any pieces.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

don't worry about, I almost many of times put gas into the hydro holding tank
  5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

if you had some mixed in it, then it shouldn't be too bad off.

2 yrs ago, i wanted my room mate to help me mow some yards. So he ran out of gas in the blower and went to fill it up. I have 2 sizes of gas jugs. 5gal and 2 gal. the big one goes with the big machine, the small one goes with the small machines. that easy. This idiot puts diesel fuel in the blower. It starts smoking like hell!!! I notice this and as i'm finishing my last few strips on the mower i'm yelling, "TURN IT OFF!!! TURN IT OFF!!!" we drained the blower and i explained to him, big to big and small goes with small....that easy. Anyhow, it must not have done any damage to it seeing as how it still runs today.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, I have all gas tanks either marked with a permanent marker as "GAS" or "2-Cycle"
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Your not the only one out there that has done this.

Pull the muffler and look.
  8. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

I'm finishing a job, and the neighbor comes out and adks for a quote. I ask my help to tie and lock everything on the trailer.
    after the first corner, my brand new walk behind rolls off the trailer ... end over end.
    STROKE!!! Think any damage was done?
    Think I got the new account?
    Think the same employee is still employed? by me at least?