bonus for employee's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metiernan, Mar 8, 2005.

1. metiernan

metiernan LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Does anyone offer their employee's a percentage of the income on a yard if the employee is the reason you are mowing it? In other words do you offer your employees bonuses for helping you gain more buisness?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

i used to give employees a one time payment up front for lawns

3. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

How do you handle when either new customers or one time mows approach your crew while they are mowing. Do the crew keep the monies and obtain the customers info so they can be followed up on, or do you even allow them to do "one time mows" or "walk up full time customers" without contacting the office first. :rolleyes:

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the one time payment. If its a $30 lawn give him $30, I would say thats fair.

5. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

After my second year in business, (1974) I decided that I needed a way to attract and then KEEP good employees. payup They're hard to find, and HARDER to keep. I started a bonus system that has undergone some minor adjustments every year, but remains essentially the same as when I started it. :D

Most of my work is larger bush hogging jobs or new lawn installs. About 90% are bid-ins. SOME are hourly. With the system in effect, there is little opportunity for a bonus on the hourly work. :cry:

What I do is this.... I bid a job. Then, if the employee (or EMPLOYEES) participating in that job get it done MORE THAN 10% under budget, they get (or split) 25% of any monies beyond that first 10%. All it does is give the incentive to "GIT-R-DONE". Part of the agreement is that no bonus at all if there's any call-backs for incomplete or improperly done work. THAT supports the QUALITY CONTROL portion of my job. :D

I have 2 employees that made ALMOST as much inbonus payments last year as they did with their hourly wages. ;) In a system where they're being paid a PERFORMANCE BONUS, the best thing that can happen is your employees get RICH! payup That means you're making money too! :cool2:

And when all is said and done, that's what we're all in it for, correct? :D

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

nope, they must contact the office first before we do any type of work at all. Second of all when someone approaches my crew and asks, nobody gets the bonus except for me.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Agree with Tiedeman. Can't allow your crew to start mowing lawns that aren't on the schedule. If you catch them in the act, then they'll say "Yeah. They just walked up and paid me cash. Here it is." But when you don't catch them in the act, they've probably got a regular customer who is leaving them a personal check under the door mat every week. Next thing you know, they're running your route for 2/3 of the day and running their 'under the table' route for a 1/3 of the day. All the while, you're thinking your route is filled to capacity.

Bottom line for my crew leaders: If someone approaches for a price, hand them my card. Do not quote a price. Do not walk the property. It's that simple.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. But is more like $75 because its usually a $75 lawn. My guy likes that he can make a day's pay in 15 minutes by just talking to some one.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I also help out another company part-time, and he has never done anything like this. I dont really expect it though. A small finders fee is a good idea. However, the guys should not do any work, quote or inspect the property without getting authorization from the boss (leader)

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a finders fee is a good idea, as long as the new customer agrees to a yearly contract. I wouldn't pay a bonus to an employee for finding a one time cut.