1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 2menandamower, Dec 22, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have a question for you guys. I have a condo complex that I have submitted a bid for. My per cut price is 850 per cut. The guy at the property managment company and I met and chatted for a while and I assured him of my customer service and being there when I say etc.. etc... etc.... He said ok I am sold on it but put it this way in the bid for the board to bid on. Put the per cut price at 750.00 and then if you are there on time or give us 24 hours notice that you will not be there for whatever reason and we will pay you a 100.00 bonus, and if not there will be a 100.00 penalty. Just wondering what you would do in this situation? I look at it as 850.00 per cut in the bank because I have never, ever, ever, missed a cut or been behind a day without calling the client. Just something that I have never heard of before.
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like they are knocking you back to $750 per cut. Someone will complain that you are late, did nto show up, something so that they can justify the $100 deduction and not pay the $100 bonus, thereby paying you only $650 for the cut at times.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like they're playing you...it's no bonus $850 was what you wanted anyway...

Counter-offer with $850 and a $100 bonus :laugh:
  4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with total lawn care. If anything i would say $850 per cut with a $100 penalty if we don't show. You should not have a problem proving you did the work on time

Forget the $750 with bonus. They will find excuses not to pay the full amount
  5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

If you're that confident of your customer service, and if it means the difference between getting the account our not, then do it. Just be sure to keep meticulous records of when you're there, etc. Also, be sure to spell out in writing exactly when you will be there, so that you're covered in case you have to delay cutting. Don't forget about weather delays too. Then, smile all the way to the bank. payup

Merry Christmas to you.
  6. dlenz32

dlenz32 LawnSite Member

i agree with the fellas. They will def find a way to say you werent on time or didnt do a sufficient job just to wack you for the $100.00.

Keep it at $850.00 and the $100.00 penalty for a no show......thats beyond fair.

best of luck
  7. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

I have never heard of such a thing. You gave him your price. If they do not like your service they can seek out someone else.
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

EXACTLY. Turn it around on him, and you'll find out really quick if he's sincere or if he's FOS.

Like was said, someone somewhere will find an excuse to stiff you out of that benjamin every week.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont negotiate prices with customer doing so will empower them to cheat you. Set a price and stick with it and I would hope we are all timely in how we show up and do good work but things do happen, weather, breakdowns,employees and other things that are out of our control. Giving a customer that kind of edge is wrong and not professional! So you have been working all week long and now its time to do his place and all of the sudden your mower breaks and now you have to pay $$$$$$ to fix that mower and your going to take a pay cut too. I dont think thats a smart way to be but just my opinion.
  10. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

I completely agree. When you let a customer dictate the way they want you to do things it shows a very obvious weakness in your personality and the way you do business. People (especially anyone you do business with) will recognize this and take advantage of it. Make a decision and stand by it. Dont let someone else tell you how to run your business. Standing firm will also let them know you are serious. There's a time to negotiate but this isnt one of them (imho).