1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike, Dec 6, 2000.

1. mike

mike LawnSite Member

I give small gifts to my customers at Christmas, cup,pens,etc. I usually put my business name on the item so I can count it as adverising. I have gotten small items from my customers at Christmas, but I expect nothing. Their gift is allowing me to do their lawn. Have a Merry Christmas.
  2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Your right about there lawns are our gift, I get to know my clients very well, We are all on a first name basis. I get a little something every Chirstmas, and i always send all my clients cards. I try and let them know how thankful i am to have their business, and always do the best job i can ,always. Merry Chirstmas to all on the Forum. Marks Mowing Service
  3. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. Were both of you guys the suck-ups in school?! Excuse me Mr. teacher-sir, is that a new suit? It looks GREAT!!!!!! Where DID you buy that? GIVE ME A BREAK!! Their gift is allowing me to do their lawn!!!!!!!?!? WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!?!?!? Fellas .. fellas .. This is work, my friends. You do the best you can .. you do a great job.. this is work. You are providing a service, these people NEED the work to be done!! If you didn't cut THEIR lawn, you can cut their neighbors!! Or the neighbor around the block!!!!!! I can tell you by experience .. if you do a fantastic job .. (great cutting, experienced trimming, EDGE EVERY DARN WEEK [INCLUDING CURB], blow ALL cement AND beds WITHOUT causings a wind disaster, AND above all else, service on a regular basis) ... YOU WILL GET MORE ACCOUNTS!!!! AND, the quality of your accounts will improve as well due to the 'pick and choose' method. We turn down AT LEAST 1 account a day .. usually more in the summertime .. how, you may ask? Because we CONSTANTLY DO A PERFECT JOB!!!! This is NOT a GIFT to cut these peoples lawn!!! This is the basic supply and demand curve we all learned about in business class. We provide a phenomenal service, people WANT the service. Really, it's a gift to HAVE US do their lawn .. we're LETTING ourselves cut their lawn .. That's my gift to them!!

Merry Christmas!
  4. dhicks

dhicks Member

It cost me about $17.50 per customer this year for a Christmas goodie bag that included a large Yankee candle, log cabin candle topper and a stuffed bear. Remembering my customers at this time of the year is not being a suck-up.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I do good work for my customers. I never send any of them cards or give them gifts. Maybe I should lol. But my Christmas bonus checks should start arriving soon in the mail anyway. I have thought about sending out cards this year. Still haven't made a decision on that yet. Whatever works for you. I don't think it hurts to send a card. Giving them anything with your company name on it is great for anytime of year, EXCEPT as a christmas gift lol. That would be tacky.
  6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

We probably need to be religiously cautious. I think a "Happy Holidays" card is more appropriate than a "Merry Christmas" card. I've got a number of jewish customers who probably wouldn't like to get a christmas card. Do you???
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We give out around 100 xmas cards to our customers. Kindness will go a long way and only shine a brighter image on your company unlike others here LOL.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I send out holiday cards to my customers. A select few also get gifts, Italian cookie package from a local bakery to the "shared heritage" customers, and wonderful cheese from http://www.oldtaverncheese.com/index.shtml , (this is the real stuff, not the glue stick crap from swiss colony and others of the same ilk) to my other big dollar customers.

Mr Stone did you recieve your card yet? ;)
  9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

HEY!!!! Lawnguy can you put me on your list, those cookies sound mmmmmm-good.
  10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Email me a street address and Ill UPS you a box.

Nobody else!!!