1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

book keeping advice?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fga, Mar 2, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

listen, to be honest, my book keeping as far as records is poor at best. i was in Staples today looking at book keeping books, and things like that. they look very involved and overkill for a small business. i'm talking solo to maybe 3 guys at most.
    any advice or help? i'm looking to step it up this year. i have bascially been running my business for 7 years by the seat of my pants, estimating cost 99% of the time. even if you ask me how much i make, it'd be an estimate. i know i always have checks coming in, bills paid, etc. do i really need the spread books they sell in the office stores? what would a routine be for keeping track of your paperwork weekly? do you come home at the end of each day and actually write down "i spent $30 on gas, 5 on lunch, 1.50 for amigo's bus fare?" looking ot actually be alot more professional in this area. any help without directly ripping me a new one for running it like this so long:) ?

this is only referring to the cost tracking areas, not house scheduling, etc. that i have golden... i can tell you the date of every cut i have done in the last 6 or 7 years.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Look into Quickbooks. Depending on the version you get you can do things like comparing a budget vs. actual expenses, keep track of a petty cash account, schedules, etc.

Just perform a seach through yahoo or google...heck even on this site and you will find their website.
  3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got to tell you that the first 2 years was hell for me in that same area. But yes you have to come home every day and enter all your expenses. Ive got quicken premier. It tells you all that good stuff you need. adds everthing up and tells you different reports.
  4. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I was just talking to my accountant about this same topic. She recommended quicken basic. She said it wasn't worth the extra money to get anything but basic. It stepps you through the entire process of keeping track of customers, billing, and employee times. I looked around and the best deal I can find on it right now is through office max. There is a rebate of 100 you can send in for.
  5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

we use quickbooks I figure if I am going to be working all day long I might as well just pay someone to handel all the bookkeeping. So we did, one of the employees wifes from our sister company handels it. It works great the only problems I have are being we are on different sides of the state but that has not caused too much of a problem only the ocasional hickup (which is usualy my fault). I did not want to work 10 hours a day then come home and put in another 4 doing paper work. But quick books works great, the more you can brake down your costs the better you can work out how much you need to make on a job. this will allow you to better estimate and do cost control on your work in turn providing you with higher profets. Good book keeping is the key to success. IMO