book on stripeing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr mow, May 20, 2006.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

I do know how to stripe, the normal, diamond,check... but somewhere on this site i read about a book that explained how to do advanced stripeing. if you know the name of theauthor or book or any other suggestions that would be helpful. i was watching highlights of barry bonds tonight(not really a baseball fan) and does anyone know what kind of mowers do they use and are they verti cut or rotary cut

2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good one I got a while back from a golf course show I was at... but I believe you can get it from a book store or they can order it for you... very good book I think you would enjoy reading and looking at. It is called

Picture Perfect Lawns
    Mowing techniques for lawns,landscapes, and sports
    By David R.Mellor

Best of luck finding it.. let me know if you enjoy it or not...

3. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

4. mr mow

thanks L.C. 18! anybody have another book?

5. mr mow

southern...thats cool. i already knew the basics got no problems with those but went ahead and printed it out cause it makes it easier to teach the"basics" rather than describing it. thanks.

6. mr mow

i know there are more books,but if im going to look for one at book store or online i might as well look at them all and decide. there cant just be "one good book" on this subject

7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, Picture Perfect as suggested above. It is the only book I have ever seen published that deals exclusively with striping. If your looking for advanced striping, you wont be disapointed.

Kevin

8. mr mow

thanks guys! i see potential(if only i could spell it) here for a collective effort to come up with a book

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Over the past year or so I have been developing a lot of unique "overlaid" patterns.

Ways to stripe for the best viewing, ways to stripe that are more turf friendly, ways to work with the sun to get the best out of your patterns as the season progresses, ways to stripe that are more productive, ways to stripe for 3-D type stripes where the lawn has a visible pattern from all viewing angles without making more than one mowing pass per week.

I'm sure I have folks that are convinced I go over their lawn 2 or 3 times every visit because it does look that way... but I don't. Forget me writing a book though. Maybe when I retire someday... but I doubt it.

10. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

.In response to what baseball field's groundskeepser use in the pros. In milwaukee , the brewers, they use something that closely resembled toro's 3100 reelmaster d's. I was in washington d.c. the other week and I think the nats' use a jacobsen AR-5 -same as the white house.