1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Book recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by oceanpotion, Dec 7, 2006.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Im looking to purchase an irrigation basics or principles of irrigation book. Can anyone recommend such a book for an irrigation novice?
  2. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think all of the big manufacturers, Rainbird, Toro, Etc. have the basic information available in sales catalogs. Most of the big irrigation houses Ewing, Horizon,John Deere also have the same info in their catalogs too. The industry has so many new innovations I would think most books are outdated before they are in print. Granted the basics never change but I think you could find the same info in a sales catalog at no cost.
  4. oceanpotion

Wow, thorough advice in a timely manner. Thank you very much.
  5. oceanpotion

Just for others who are interested... the rainbird site has some really nice articles.
  6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf Irrigation Manual by Richard Choate.
  7. I have the Choate book if you want to buy it PM me......don't need it anymore ;)
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Choate's book is currently out of print, so you'd be wise to take up SprinkerGuys offer :)
  9. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Another place to check out is Irrigation Association at www.irrigation.org
    Click on resources>books>turf-landscape.....several to choose from on the subject of irrigation.

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Geez, I missed a golden opportunity by being to busy to be around reading. My very first reaction to the title post was anything Hienlen. Your going to find more fantasy in most irrigation books than even RAH wrote about. That being said, and having read the previous responses, if you pickup the suggested readings and keep a VERY open mind, you might learn as much irrigation as I have learned spanish.