Bookkeeper is crossing the line!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kdbetters, Jan 4, 2005.

1. kdbetters

kdbetters LawnSite Member

I want to know if anyone has problems with thier bookkeeper or CPA. I have had this bookkeeper for a little less than a year, and she is now crossing the line. First thing is she is a friend of the family so she feels she can tell me how to run my business. I told her my business plan for 2005 (low cost, high volume) and she said that it would not work. I told her that alot of people on lawnsite have this method and some make good money if they do it right. She also said that I need to be in the field for at least 7-10 years before I should think about hiring employees for crews. Now she is going into my personal life. I told her I was getting married in May and she said that she did not see how I could financially do that. She does not know my whole financial status, just the business side.
    I am thinking about doing my own bookkeeping and hiring a CPA to do my taxes and firing her. I just want her to reconcile my bank statements and let me run my business.

Does anyone have this problem?
    If I let her go, how should I do it?
    Should I do my own bookkeeping?

Sorry for making this so long but truthfully this isn't even half, if anyone can help please do.I know she wants to help but shes to agressive and not helpful enough.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont like her get a new one. If you plan on doing it youself you better have an extra day in the week to sit down and do them properly. I did my own for a couple years and i got tired of it so i hired someone. And no offense but dont ever hire a friend of the family to deal with your money.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

My CPA gives me his advice and his opionion on what I should do but it sounds like your CPA is defintly crossing the line.....and being rude. Always a tough situation when you start mixing business and friendship. :dizzy:

4. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Good morning sweet pea, I appreciated your help, but I think I will take care of my finances from this day forward. Have a good life!!

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

crossing the line big time I feel.

If you ask for advice in regards to personal and the exact ways to run things that is another matter, but from what you said, you haven't. So yes, she is crossing the line

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

You need someone to reconcile your bank statement? Really?

7. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I would ask why? I think her opinion on low cost/high volume is right. This could be a learning experience pick her brain see what she knows and if you still don't like her fire her.

8. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

There are those that truely don't understand the rewards of RISK. You can't explain it to them, you can't teach it to them, you can't show them, it's something (I believe) picked up early in life. So when people like that even hear of risk, they automatically assume failure, start looking for ways to NOT do it and then they justify keeping their life(or yours) the way it is.

Change = Risk

I wouldn't read to much into it. If you don't want her opinion then I probably wouldn't talk to her about your plans. I wouldn't talk to my employees about my plans for my business because they look at it in terms of them, not the business as a whole. Your bookkeeper may be afraid to lose you as a client or a friend, she may tell you not to do it simply because she doesn't want to get pinned with it if you fail.

If she's your bookkeeper and you're happy with her work then keep her. If you don't want to hear her opinion about your business plans, then don't discuss them with her.

9. kdbetters

kdbetters LawnSite Member

I'm not lowballing when I say this but I will lower my price a few dollars($2 or $3) if it means I could not only double my customer base but triple it. Also she has other landscapers/lawn service guys that have been in the industry longer than I have and she thinks since I am not doing the way they do it then I will not suceed. That is not the case, as you see here on lawnsite we all do it differently and many of us suceed.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I could NOT survive without my CPA .... BUT I'm lucky n have a GREAT one ..... my old partners wife .... Many would think ....What ?? .... but she is great ... gives me solid advice BUT not beyond what I can or should interpet ..... keeps my paper work in order ... I do most everything monthly, pay roll n such n she checks my 941's n state stuff ... but she does ALL the yearly end

In your case ... I'd say "thanks for the advice" n move on n do as YOU best see it ... if see continues .... I'd shop around