1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Books for LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Mar 5, 2005.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a gift certificate to Amazon and plan on buying a book.

What are some of the best and most informative books that one could buy as an LCO? Titles and authors would be helpful...

2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

my favorites in no particular order:

barely 18
    penthouse letters

you gotta make sure you clean the pipes ya know???

not sure if amazon keeps these around or not????
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I find that any type of business book, not necessarily green related, is great to get. A lot of people would recommend E-Myth (in which I didn't care for it), but I would do something simple like, small business books that cover everything in general.
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

The Lawn Bible is pretty good.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a few business books that I love and read/reference from time to time. Most are by NOLO publishing.

Some of the titles,

1) Legal Guide for Starting & Running a Small Business

2) Form Your OWn Limited Liability Company

3) Tax Savvy For Small Business

4) How to Write A Business Plan

Some that aren't by NOLO publishing are

5) Small Business Startup

6) Business Plans That Work

7) Small Business Taxes

Two Green Related Books that I used for annuals, perenials, trees, and shrubs are

1) Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs An Illustrated Encyclopedia by Michael A. Dirr

2) Treasury of Gardening, Publications International, Ltd.

Hope this helps
  6. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

A friend of mine got me this book when I first got into business 11yrs ago and I thought it was a good reading for what I needed to know in the very beggining. Oh I almost forgot to put the name..."How To Open and Operate A Home Based LandscapeBusiness" by Owen E. Dell
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If you want alot of fact based heavy information about lawns then my suggestion is ;
    Turfgrass Management by A.J. Turgeon
    Hardcover, about 400 pages and lots of things you didn't know, never would know, probably still won't know. Truthfully it is an excellent text.
  8. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

THANK YOU, ED!!! I was trying to remember the name of that book. I saw it several months back and had no luck finding it on a search. Amazon has some used ones for pretty good prices.

As for the business/finance/tax related books, I have my wife. She's a book keeping whiz and has an MBA!!! I'm sooooooo lucky.

Thanks Guys!