Books

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jul 3, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys read books about this industry and the business part besides magazines? I recently bought the book “How to start a Home-Based Landscaping Business”. It seems to be helpful but pretty basic. LS seems to be a lot more helpful. The books just doesn’t get into enough detail. Do any of you guys recommend any other books about anything related to lawn care?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I have some general landscaping books and some lawn books. I have 2 landscaping books, 1 totally about landscaping with stone, and the other shows you how to do a bunch of landscaping jobs i.e. walkways, walls, drains, etc.. I have 1 book that tells you the history of lawns and how mowers and things got going. Ihave one book that is strictly lawns and tells how to plant and what variety does best where and what the name is, etc. They seem to help and I have used them in reference a few times. The business part I get from the magazines. I get Lawn and Landscape magazine every month and Turf every month, both are great mags by the way! I recommend subscribing to both of them because I've learned alot from the mags, but I've learned alot more on Lawnsite than I have anywhere else!

3. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not just kissingarse when I say that LS has given me more info than any other resource (books, magazines, extension service, lesco, even college!!!)

Here, I can interact with 4000+ other LCO's on every topic imaginable for the business and the plants

AND it's free!

That said, I also reccomend reading all you can and talk to all the local resources. And when you find a juicy tidbit of information, be sure to share it with us!
    my .02