Books

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by wallzwallz, Sep 17, 2008.

1. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I have been purchasing some books for the upcoming winter. I was wondering if any of you have read any books you consider must reads. I would like to increase my knowledge across the board, soil science, veggie growing, hands on organics, native planting etc.. I can't recommend any right now as I haven't read any yet. lol

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Our marketing guy Shep Ogden has written 6 books on organics, I am not sure what is in print right now, you can probably get them used if they are out of print.

I just finished reading "1491" by Charles Mann, we sponsored him at the ELA show spring 2008, it drags some as I am not a huge history buff but the fundamentals are excellent especially the last 1/4 of the book, I couldn't put it down. What was North, Central and South America like before europeans came

You probably have already read "teaming with microbes" by Jeff lowenfels

I am going to read "Roanoke Island, the lost colony" next, we just vacationed near there in Hatteras, I thought it might be interesting

3. wallzwallz

Thanks Bill, Shep has quite a resume, yes his books are out of print. Teaming w/ microbes is one I bought, but haven't read yet.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah he is actually one of the founders of organic seeds, he started his company in 1983, we are very proud to have him on board

He is a "tell it like it is" kind of guy

Here is his short bio on our business plan
    Shep Ogden, Marketing
    Organic gardening pioneer Mr. Ogden founded The Cooks Garden, one of the nation's premier seed and supply companies, in 1983. He has been an author, lecturer, consultant and organic market gardener for 30 years, author of 6 books on organics and featured often on Martha Stewarts Living TV show, The Today Show and many magazines

He was actually on the front page of INC magazine with the title "Guerrilla Marketing"

Very interesting guy, He can actually talk your arm off, I am typing with stumps right now

5. wallzwallz

LOL, Does he cook? Nobody else has any book suggestions?

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People
    Paul Sachs, Handbook of Successful Ecological Lawncare
    Sir Albert Howard, An Agricultural Testament
    John Spence, Excellence by Design
    Martin Alexander, Intro to Soil Microbiology
    Sharon Lilly, ISA Arboriists' Certification Study Guide

So many books, so little time.:cry:

7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Just read that one. It was sorely needed. Now to buy it on CD and listen a few more times.

"Good to great" and THEN "Built to Last" by Jim Collins
    "E-Myth revisited" by Michael Gerber
    "Little Red Book of Selling" Jeffrey Gitomer
    And of course that plant physiology textbook Kiril lead me to..
    http://www.sinauer.com/detail.php?id=8567

I have a few microbe/organic ones that are going to be digested, but can't suggest them yet.

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

LOL! Sorry... but that made me laugh... I am glad to hear that people can actually figure out when a change needs to be made...

I hope this didn't come off wrong... any books on how to say what you mean to say without saying the opposite? Things always seem to come out wrong with me...

10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I picked up a few organic gardening books when I first got started but it was hard to transform the information into lawn care practices or they were very elementary and didn't really go very far with things. They all seemed to be more focused towards homeowners wanting to do a small organic garden of their own, not someone trying to figure out the science and apply it on a grander scale...