Boom Cutters

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Barry Construction, May 22, 2008.

1. Barry Construction

Barry Construction LawnSite Member

We are looking to add a boom brush cutter. Looking for some good suggestions on what anyone is using. I know Gyro Trac is coming out with a boom cutter head that will reach out 20ft. Thanks for any info that you can povide me.

2. rickrichards

rickrichards LawnSite Member

dont do it , its a trick

3. deniscimafinc

deniscimafinc LawnSite Member

Hi there,

Just seen your post and wanted to suggest you look at our heads:

www.deniscimaf.com

We have been making industrial-type boom-mount brushcutter-chippers since 1991 and we have introduced the technology Gyro-Trac now uses in its front-mount heads. If that's what you're looking for, let me know and I'll send you a few names to contact so you can get their feedbacks on our machines.

If you're looking at a kit boom+cutter, then the thing we have is the grader-mount articulating boom, on which you can mount a mower head (DTN) or a chipping head (DHN). Is that what you're more into?

Regarding excavator-mount, nice thing about it is in difficult terrain (lots of rocks) you can save your blades with the better view you have from the cab and finer control over where the head goes, and in sensitive areas, you can cover a much wider area in a single pass (less damages to the site)

Just curious, what information do you have on the upcoming boom-mount model from Gyro-Trac? Always good to know what others are coming up with :p

4. Barry Construction

Hello,

How well do your blades hold up in the rocks?? We are looking at US mower heads right now and they seem to be priced pretty well for taking down 4 inch brush. How do you compare to their heads?

When I was in SC they just completed the 1st boom cutter head and they thought it would be ready by this summer. The unit that was ready had a swing tooth design but they said they were going to put a fixed tooth drum on soon as well.

That is all i know.

5. deniscimafinc

Actually, I should have started with these questions:

On what type carrier are you looking to install a brushcutter? And what other type of equipment do you have available?

What type of work do you intend to do?

How big a tree do you need to cut?

Will you be ok to simply cut the material, or do you need finer finish?

How much is productivity an issue?

As we focus primarly on industrial equipment, it might be possible our offering is overkill for what you need. Let's see... :)

Frederic Denis
    DENIS CIMAF Inc.

6. Barry Construction

Hello,

Right now we are looking at putting a head on a bobcat 442, 8 ton machine, 26gpm. Trees that we are looking to cut are 6-18 inch trees. Have some very rocky ground to cover and our gyro trac does not seem to do well in that. We also have a 330 that we could put a head on but that is a mess to haul around from job to job.

Give me an idea of a price for the 442 set up..

7. Barry Construction

To answer your other questions:

Finish with what we want to do with the boom is not a big issue. We have 250 acres of pine trees from a fire to take out and would only need to take the stumps close to ground level. But very rocky!!!

8. deniscimafinc

Good evening,

Tell me if I'm wrong, but basically, I understand you will need to log pine trees from a burned land and will then need to clean the rocky land and flatten the stumps.

A mower-type head (Promac, Slashbuster, or our DAV) might have been good in such conditions, but if you find yourself with stumps up to 18-inches-wide, it might be hard to achieve/ take longer. Given you'll be far in the woods however, you then wouldn't need to worry about the long-reach projections often experienced with that type of attachment, unless you'll have a few operators working close to each others.

Carbide-hammer mulchers (Fecon, FAE, Magnum, Tushogg - however that is spelled) are said to be able to eat rocks, depending on which representative of these type you're listening to. In the end, it seems the operators try to stay away from the rocks, though, to not shatter the carbide tips. And the concept of breaking a tree with a hammer has been in our opinion a waste of energy.

A flail-type drum (Seppi, Rockhound, others...) is said to stand well the rock impacts, since the cutter then swivel. However, if it's not built strong enough, or if you go too fast one time, you might damage the axle of the some flails, making replacement of their cutters a pain. Before 2000, our heads were using something like that, but we've left that technology for the more productive fixed knives.

Fixed-knives brushcutters (DENIS CIMAF, of course, :D, but also some other like Loftness), will cut more efficiently the vegetation. These are not tools to play in the ground, mind you. But if you need to, then the question is whether what you need is a brushcutter or a more like a rototiller. If your job only requires ground-level or above operations, the fixed-knife technology will give you the best performances, allowing to run on smaller machines, or on comparable machine with increase of performances of 50% or more. Some see the need to sharpen the knives as a drawback of this technology. But if you get 50% more production, I'm not sure the 15 minutes of sharpening daily is such a big expense.

Whatever the technology you go with, you'll find that, in rocky conditions, a good operator that is not rushing his work will save you a lot of $$$.

So, if you have a good operator, someone who will take good care of your machine, you'll find the best productivity with a technology like ours. There are ways to work with an excavator-mount head to keep away from rocks. And then, if you happen to hit a rock so hard it will break a blade, it will cost you a 50$-cutter, and not a 70$-something hammer...

Sometimes in the next two weeks, we're going to have Bobcat to try and demo our new little excavator-mount brushcutter-chipper, the DAH-080C, on a Bobcat 442. Don't search for it, that mulcher is not even on our website yet. It has a cutting width of about 31", with 11 fixed knives with bolt-on, sharpenable blades. So far, it was tested on a Kubota KX080-3, but was sold before being tried on anything else. I'll post picture of that first setup tomorrow when I'll be back at the office, and of the Bobcat demo when available.

Good luck with all the thinking. Let me know if you'd like to speak with some guys running our heads... I'm sure you prefer to hear from an operator than read from the guy in sales... :p

Best regards,

Frederic Denis
    DENIS CIMAF Inc.

9. Barry Construction

The trees that we are cutting will not be logged and most of the area this person wants cleared will need to be done with a boom cutter. No trees will be logged he wants them down so he does not have to looked at all the dead trees any more. Can your cutter head take care of that. IF so, please send me some pricing options. email is darin.bconstruction@gmail.com