boom or nozzle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Nov 27, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question: Is a boom better than a single or double nozzle system? If so, why? Smaller droplets? Less wind problems? But boom not suitable for gates or narrow areas? What about spraying down a hill or up a mound? Or sideways on a slope?
    Does a hand gun give you better weed control? If so why? Skid sprayer or back pack--which provides best weed control?
  2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Lots of topics right there Riggle. Nice questions.
  3. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Subscribed. I'm looking at the pathfinder xc and was wanting to know the advantages of the spray boom over the single nozzle. Drift would be less an issue with the boom. What are the other advantages?
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

No drift with booms is a wive's tale, cuz it depends on nozzles. We hate also booms & trailers.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I had used a boom a single Hypro nozzle a chemlawn gun and all kind of tee jet nozzles on my back pack and boom. And get the best weed control with my T3000. as for drift every nozzle has drift if the wind is strong enough some will drift with no wind. Every one thinks that you have to have complete coverage to get go weed control I find this not true. They do make adjuvants to help with coverage and drift.

I have sprayed Greens with a sprayer that uses 60 gals per acre and uses flat fan nozzles. With just water and fungicides there is a cloud of spray behind you, But with 1/2 oz of drift control product that controls the drift.

Me my self would never use a boom on a yard after using my T3000 with a singe nozzle.

My 3 cents
    Charles Cue
  6. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Simple answer is, in certain situations they all have there place.:)
  7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on the wind. God the majority of my spraying my single nozzle from my T works great. If it is to windy for the single nozzle I put my small boom on with ULD nozzles. Neither one is perfect but I prefer the single nozzle.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

To me this all depends on what you are spraying and target pest
  9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill, I haven't seen you post in a while. Hope you had a good season. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

I agree with you. It depends on the target pest. All of these pieces of equipment have their place and their forte'
  10. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Single nozzle vs spray boom? Seams like a simple question I would think... I'm all ears!!