1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Boom sprayed 3 acres of asphalt.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Aug 14, 2011.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I boom sprayed a parking lot for an amc movie theater saturday. The asphalt is acient, full of cracks and crabgrass. Easy money, i hope they never repave!

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I've got one of those.

What did you end up spraying?

3. lawn king

Roundup with sticker.

4. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

King can you get back to me I need to pick your mind about tractors.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

King

Good for you and I believe this ties in with some of the ROW (Right Of Way) talk in a couple of other threads. I believe any time you can sell a job out side the box, You are going to make money. Niche Markets are out there, But don't confuse NEED for DEMAND. It is Demand that pays.

Big difference is you used a Boom and the other threads were about Boom-less. I am of the school that does Herbicides spraying as controlled as possible. Therefore I don't believe in Boom-less Herbicide spraying. I do Blanket spray insecticides for Ants, Fleas, & Ticks Etc Etc.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am not sure I follow your post here Ric. Can you explain why you don't like boomless tips?

Are you saying that a boomless application is not controlled?

Our ride ons that are boomless do a fine job compared to our boom nozles. I have 3 machines with booms and 2 machines that are boomless.

When on larger properties I too use a boom just because I can go wider (14 ft) but I wouldn't question the quality of boomless vs boom.

The efficacy of the application is there and off target application is not an issue. We spray up to 8 mph with both boom and boomless. After that it starts to get a little scary.

Just curious if you could explain why you don't like boomless applications.

:)

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

RC

Good to see you posting again.

IMHO Boom-less nozzles are more prone to Drift and over spray than Booms. They also can vary in distances depending on the pump speed and tank volume. I prefer booms for herbicides and the Ric-A-Green has a boom only 10 inches off the ground and 3 nozzles to cover 42 inches at 20 psi. True it is not the Fastest thing around. With 2 and 3 thousand Sq Ft yards I don't need a fast machine. I need a more precise machine I want something that delivers Contacts as well as systemic pesticides

8. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Interesting.

9. lawn king

Feel free to pm me with any tractor questions.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I can see where you would think that...but honestly we rarely have any issues with off target applications with boomless tips.

And we do a ton of spraying.

You have to be careful with both as far as that goes.

It all comes down to large droplet size and pressure etc.

I do like the boom don't get me wrong but the boomless has its place.

Got two machines with boomless tips and love them!