1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Boom Sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Popsicle, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Does anyone here have a tank and boom sprayer attached to their mowers? I've seen the Walker unit on their website but have never seen anyone configured this way. It seems like a great idea thought the boom should be installed on the back so the fertilizing (foliar) can be done at the same time it's mowed.
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with the Lawngodfather. He made one for his dixie. There are pics somewhere around here.
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Excellent. Good idea LGF with the dimmer switch.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I built my own for the Walker 2 years ago. Its a 35 gal tank with an electric pump that is hooked to an 8 foot boom with 4 spray heads in the back. I never liked Walkers design because I'd rather not get a puss full of spray if a breeze kicked up. I used parts that I got at a farm supply store and the whole works cost around 200 bucks I think. The unit will spray about 50000 sq ft and I just spray Millennium Ultra or Speedzone.

Just a word of caution about your idea of spraying as you mow, some herbicides are labeled for not applying to a lawn within X amount of hours before or after mowing. Read the label. My spray unit has to be installed with the deck all the way up so it isn't ever a consideration for me to mow and spray, 2 seperate visits.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Forgot the pic

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Good job Mow Ed.....I will need one of those soon!

8. lars

lars LawnSite Member

MOW ED, have you ever made any misapplications with that sprayer. Just with turning and constant speed changes, it seems that you could misapply pesitides due to the change in rate (change in speed).
  9. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pick MowEd. That is precisely what I had in mind. I wonder if the same apparatus could be applied to a walkbehind? I was thinking of a 20-25 gallon unit with an electric pump. Could a boom be installed right behind the back tires?
  10. CCLAWN

CCLAWN LawnSite Member

You might want to check out Pro Lawn spray equipment, They have a boom sprayer that is able to hook up to most zero turn units. It even has a new Granular hopper for dry and liquid app at the same time. Its a little expensive 3 to 4 g but its much more usable that the ride on applicator units. This is good for you guys that mow and do application work both. Good call Ed. Most all herbicides should not be sprayed within a short period of time just to give the grass plant time to heal from the mow job. :)