Boom vs Boomless spray nozzle for ATV's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jmm46, May 16, 2008.

1. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Americanlawn, got any pics of the unit you have for boomless nozzles?
    Handheld or machine?

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

i use gps on mine

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

For applications where I need to worry more about drift than coverage, the AI series of nozzles are good. They put out a 110 fan with air mixed into the spray. If you are using enough nonionic surfactant the spray is almost like a foam. Boom height is also an important factor as well. 80 nozzles and floodjet tips force you to keep the boom high off the turf in order to get uniform coverage across the entire length of the boom. I keep my walking boom at no more than 16" off the turf. I am usually spraying metsulfuron, Image or 2,4-D right next to beds.

4. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

The Fimco boom setup is very easy to control once you find the right tips that match application rate in first gear. This is how I do everything because my average lawn size is so big. I think the booms help you with visual reference for making your passes if you are not using a dye.

5. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Ric
    look at teejets TTI nozzles very course work good like using a chemlawn gun.Just as long as not going to use a contact herbicide. There on page 41 of sprayer specialties catalog they have nicer booms to than filmco
    hope this helps
    Charles Cue

6. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I have both FIMCO units (140 inch boom w/TeeJet and the Hypro Boomless). Each is fed by a 25 gallon tank and a 3.8 GPM pump. Once you calibrate and adjust the patterns, both work well. The Boomless setup is working awesome for post emergent control. No real problem with drift since the droplets are pretty course. I run them from a Polaris Sportsman X2 (2 up ATV w/dump bed). It's a big ATV.

7. Turbodrop

Turbodrop LawnSite Member

You should look into Greenleaf Turbodrops, they have a air injected boomless nozzle and drift reduction nozzles for your boom type sprayer. Boomless nozzles are ok with roundup or chemicals that are not coverage critical.

8. Turbodrop

Turbodrop LawnSite Member

You should look into airmix nozzles from greenleaf. They will elinimate drift and allow high pressure.