1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

BOOOOO!!! "Scotts" pollutive lawn service!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Microbe, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

When a lawn in florecent green in march not only does it stick out like a soar thumb, I can just imagine when it rains how much nitrogen and other pollutants are leaching its way down into the water we all drink from. Chemlawn, Scotts lawn service in BOHEMIA LONG ISLAND...... you are selling a service which is horrible for the environment and a selling tacktic that not only "lie's," to customers but also pollutes there property and gives them a false sense of what grass is supposed to do and its life cycle. IT JUST BOGGLES MY MIND HOW SOMEBODY COULD WANA PAY FOR A CHEMICAL BOMB FOR THERE PROPERTY.... I had a interested customer call me the other day and say that her neighbor has a lawn thats so green it looks fake......... WE"LL IT IS FAKE...... AND EXTREMELLY HARSH FOR THE ENVIRONMENT! Its funny, only if I had a diagram that actually showed how fast nutrients leak into the groundwater, I would post it on my truck! Organic lawns will take over one day...... There's so much truth in organic land care and so much good to come out of it...

2. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

There is only one problem. The same argument can be made about all your Manures contaminating drinking water. If you use the Ferts you are talking about it will build up salts over time. Grass requires 4 to six #'s of Nitrogen per year to Survive if not it declines. Which I believe is about 1 TON per 1000
    Sq Ft of Manure. How much run off goes in your drinking water

Here is a link http://www.cbf.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=9141

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That article is old news, and had a lot to do with bad farming practices. Farmers would take the manure and spread tons of it without knowing how much N they were putting down. I guess they had tons to get rid of, so they would dump as much as they had or could get. The manure wasn't composted either. It was just bad practices, and of course there was a ton of runoff and leaching into the water supply. The bay is F-ed up, no two ways about that, but don't blame us. I don't think anyone on this forum is dumping straight manure on any lawns, so think of something else X.

4. Xterminator

If you use the right Chem. in th right spot its just as safe as organics. people are in the mind set that if its organic its safe and thats B S. I use both
    so if you incorporate both in your program it is a plus

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

A simple quote from that site
    pretty much sums up what I have been saying about the organic companies and organic materials. There can be to much of any nutrient and when there becomes an excess, runoff and pollution will occurr. It doesnt matter if your nutrient source is organic or chemical. Once the capacity of the soil to absorb and hold those nutrients is exceeded, runnoff is going to occur. If it rains, you are going to get runoff.

On another note, the part about manures being inefficient sources of nutrients isnt totally correct. Nutrients that have been processed by plants and animals are easier for the next crop to consume and use. Requardless of source, partical size of the nutrient helps determine how fast and how easy it is for the plant and microbe organisms to use. Nutrients that have already been used or recyled are already converted to root soluible nutients, and even tho present in lower percentages of the normal sources of those nutrients, they are taken up and used much faster by the plants and microbes. Fertilizer sources of nutrients are usually taken from hard and solf rock sources of those nutrients. These nutrients are ground and pulverized into powders and then applied to the soil. Before those nutrients can actually be used by the plant and microb live, they must be attacted by enyzmes that basicly reduce the much larger particals into much smaller plant usable bite sizes. In other words you can actually get a much better plant response from smaller amounts of manures and compost than you can from larger amounts of their chemical counterparts. This usually results in the organic applicator think if a little did that much good, lets increase the rates, after all, its organic and it wont hurt anything. Then you just start the old pollution cycle over again, just like if you applied to much chemical fertilizer.

6. Xterminator

I had a Customer who told me She spilled a bag of Millorganite on the concrete, and her dog ate it all but she was not worried because it was organic. When I told her what it was She didn't believe me at first. Then she came around.
    I use microbes in my liquid programs and fish emulsion, but also incorperate regular SCU's. I have some of the best yards around if I do say so myself.
    There is a place for organics & synthetics in my program as long as it keeps selling. I tell everyone I put down everything the big guys do and more

7. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

I followed him.... I visited like 2 lawns he was taking care of and they were "NEON" GREEN! WAY over the top when it comes to a natural color lawn. I thought I was tripping out or something lol...... Stood out like a sore thumb..... Just thought I would say something about it.... Xterminator it all depends on what type of a person you wana portray.... I understand that a mix of sythetic organic products and organic products may work "better," but does it really? I"m sure your lawns look great and thats very important, and also what ever helps to make that money is always a plus. We all have our message and practices, if I had a customer that wanted chemical I would practice chemical on there property but I first would try to sell him/her on a stict organic program first. I feel that most customers find it very interesting and safer when they know that there landscaper practices organic land care, even if they have some plants that they feel are un sightly in there lawn.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

so do u guys have any pics of your lawns? and how they look now?

9. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

I wish I understood computers..... I'd love to take pics of my properties and post them...... how do you do it? Do you need a good digital camera? I have a cell phone camera... is that enough?

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ask jodi she should be able to talk u through it
    do u have a scanner to scan in reg pics
    u just up load them to your putter and then on ls