1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Booster Pump/pump start relay Connection Help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zimmatic, Jun 29, 2013.

1. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

I have a system that is 30 zones. It also has a rid-o-rust system installed. Due to the large size of the lawn the rid o rust system only runs on about half the zones. It is controlled by using the master valve circut and then programming the controller which zones use the master valve to use/ turn on the pump start relay for the rid-o-rust system. Works very well.

Here is the problem.

I need to run a booster pump for every zone. How can I wire in the second pump start relay into the controller so that when the controller activates, the booster pump will turn on?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Any controller(s) zone outputs can be wired through an array of isolation diodes to create a signal to operate a relay.
  3. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

Make the pump pressure activated instead of relay activated with a pressure switch and expansion tank.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

OR, put in an on-demand pumping system for the well, that will free-up the clock for your other needs.http://pentair.com
  5. zimmatic

Thanks for the suggestions.

boots can you describe the suggestions some more?
  6. zimmatic

one thought I did have and I dont know if this will work

disconnect the common wire from in the controller from the terminal stud or "c". Then wire the irrigation system common wire it to the black lead for the pump start relay and then the connect the white wire from the pump start relay to the "c" terminal stud in the controller.
    My theory is that when the controller activates any station the the pump start relay is in the circit loop and would be activated.
    its just a theory.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the diodes trick is strictly home-brew electronics - something one could make with Radio Shack components

there might be something out there a little more 'official' that comes with mfr backing
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Rainbird and Toro both have extensive wiring diagrams available.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Spend an extra $85 and put in a second clock.
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That would be too simple.
    Posted via Mobile Device