Boots for appliacations

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tomoaktree, Mar 11, 2002.

1. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

What is a good comfortable boot to wear that will hold up to chemicals?

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i would guess a rubber boot, check in gempler catalog and northern see what they got.

3. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Yes , I am looking for a pair of rubber boots! I checked Northern and Gempler. I was hoping someone would recommend a particular boot. As shoes go , I've made some good purchases and then I've bought some that were terrible. I usually like to try my boots on before I buy them but maybe I'll try the mail order thing.:)

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

something u may wanna check on is if u have a fire supply store, they offer various rubber boots, some are steel toe also, either get a fire boot or wildland fire boot, might have other options also (hazmat boot?). good luck

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I bought mine at lesco, the Mercury pvc work boots. I put in some Dr shouls (sp) work boot inserts. They are very comfortable, and I'm a little fussy about boots give them a try. $65.00 I think.Harvestman

6. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

I look for boots at the local True value they can be cheap, also a the Tractor Supply Store.

7. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a group of guys come into a deli last year that all worked at a local golf course. They had what looked like a rubber glosh (spelling?), in the green rubber glove color. It looks like they're disposable, wear through them and put on another pair. That way you still stay in your regular boots (more comfy) and can take them off if you're not apply pesticides.

Anyone see these before? Would these work?

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've always used Redwings. If you oil them up, chemicals will run off. btw-I always use steel toe boots since I dropped a 3 gallon B&G on my foot in "95. They're expensive but will last forever and are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Also, The Redwing dealer will oil it up for you.

9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a great idea as the lining in these boots will retain pesticides/herbicides leaving you with prolonged absorption. For spraying or applying you're better off with something which can be completely "disinfected" such as rubber or the liners mentioned above.

10. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

The oil repels the chemicals. Most veteran pest people do it ths way. The oil soaks in the leather and fluids just run off. I've sprayed my feet (by accident of course!) with some concoctions that probably would have landed me in the pokey if ag. found out about it! btw--The first time I had a stainless steel B&G start to smoke, I stopped trying to be a junior chemist!