Boots... Let's talk.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Stars & Stripes Landscaping, Aug 19, 2013.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

How's the waterproofness? I had a pair of Chippewas 5 years ago with the Chip a Tex lining and it was awful. I don't mind spending $250 on a pair of boots, but I don't want them to fail.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

How does oil makes the soles last longer

3. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl lawngrips for me.

4. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Keeps the rubber from drying out and cracking in theory

5. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

I have an wear

Chippewa Super loggers not waterproof

Georgia logger

Keen Utility

Red Wing boot (forgot the model)

all are great boots provided you care of them

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Never heard that maybe they blowing smoke up you ___s
    Now I can see it drying out if working in concrete

I never hardly mink oil my work boots Since I wear the heels off in a yr time

My problem Not many Boot companies make boots in A width Redwing make a lot different models in A width

7. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Yup its a snake oil thing but I have heard it begore from redwing I don't wear them.

8. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I was wearing timberland pro's but they would just fall apart in a couple months.

I switched to redwings about 3 years ago... they were the most comfortable footwear I had ever worn. I was getting a year out of a pair until the leather would crack (I'm lead to believe it was from the concrete dust kicking off the demo saw while cutting)

This past spring I went to the boot store to buy my annual pair, and the model that I had been wearing was discontinued... I tried on the pair that the salesman told me was taking the old model's place, they felt like they just needed to get broken in, so against my better judgment I dropped about $225 on them.:wall

Long story short... Worst pair of boots I've owned.:realmad: the tongue in them doesn't have the padding that my old ones had (I don't think any redwings have a padded tongue anymore) so I get blisters on my lower shins, the insole is super hard, and they must have changed what the seal or treat the inside of the boot with, because I get the most painful rash on my feet if I wear them for more than 12 hours. I wouldn't pay $20 for these boots, let alone $225 again. Its almost like the boots refuse to break in, even after multiple oilings :cry:

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

What model of boot you got
    Last 2 models I owned has padded tongue

10. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

All the folks talking about Keen...are we talking about the Keen Utility boot "Portland"? I love Keen shoes for casual wear and have been looking at the utility boot. Only thing is they run about $175.