Borders first or mow(striping) first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bbailey, Aug 2, 2006.

1. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

New to the zero turn mowing, got my first one a week ago and I was wondering if you guys mow all around the edges of your properties first then stripe or stripe then mow around the edges? What looks cleaner? I have been mowing for over 12 years now and never really considered striping until I found lawnsite and now I am obsessed with striping. Even more now with the zero turn! Thanks ahead for all your help.:waving:

2. BPLS1993

BPLS1993 LawnSite Member

I use 52 standers and have allways gone around the borders first follwed by the remainder of the turf, the reason i do this is because if i do the border last there may have been turns where i cut it short and then when i go around the border there is a "small triangle" that i may have missed, if i go around the border first, my turns are allways sure to cross that line and i wont need to go back and get those "triangles"

3. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Always outline first. For above posters reason.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you get?? How do you like it?

5. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

New 2006 John Deere 757 Ztrak with a 54" deck. I don't like it I love it. This mower is AWESOME. I took one of my other machines in for service and they let me take one on a demo. That was it, I had to have one. Damn salesman!!! I have been experimenting with it cutting different ways, but I wanted some of your professional advice. Thanks

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Before, sometimes after on lawns that stripes stand out on.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I mow first, then clean up by running the borders, it looks real nice that way.

Some people will run the borders first, then mow, then borders again to clean-up their turn marks/tracks left from striping.
    I dont do that because; 1) it takes more time and, 2) its double-hard on the turf because week after week after week you will always do the borders in the exact same way with the chute facing inward... you'll burn a path if you go 'round more than its needed.

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I totally agree with the above post .

9. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

double clean up first. gives plenty of room for turning and you can alterante every week where i turn.

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

You do your clean-up round with the chute facing the mulch and so on?
    Or just the 2nd pass thats further away? <-- That might look kinda cool with the stripe of it being reversed.