boredom

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I'm so flipping bored. That's the worst part of an economic slowdown. What do we do now? I'm rigging spare parts from my garage and putting lights around my yard. I should pull them out and put them back in like once a week just to stay in shape. I should do mini crop circles with lights in the back.

Lawns are dormant. Snow removal not in high demand.

I have an install later this week, I should spread it out to one fixture a day ("these things take time, mam").

2. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

Your normal vocations may be some what slow, but there are opportunities out there. Consider the oldest business known to man.......or in your case, known to woman.:dancing:

There may be some integration opportunities on the same street corner you are gathering at for the window squeegee business.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike, sounds to me like you haven't whole heartedly embraced my advice...

"Use what you know to your advantage."

Get out of your garage and into the faces of the commercial property owners. Show them how a lighting audit and efficiency retrofit program can reduce their operating expenses NOW, and provide them with a monthly return on their investment in the near future.

You do know a thing or two about lamp technology, energy efficiency, basic math, etc... right?

Have an interesting day.

4. Mike M

from usa

Not really. I just like the artsy creative side of the business.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahh ok, you might just be snookered then Mike... Unless you find a nice, rich, benefactor who is willing to bank role you as you fine tune your 'craft'. :)

Enjoy.

6. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,
    I hope I don't offend you too much, but dude you HAVE got to stop embracing this so called "Economic Slow Down." If one was to go back and look at your post I bet the majority of the post would be some kind of whinning about the economy. I don't think anyone can be successfull about focusing on negative things.
    ~Ned

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Very good point. Its only as bad as you make it...

8. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a gun and hunting. That is what I am doing as I type this. Another good use for the iPhone. I just got a small 10 fixture job.

When I get bored I try to cram my nose into busness readings. I also like to read a magazine called sucess this month was good. Gotta get back to waiting for bambi.

9. Mike M

from usa

Ned;

It's okay, I know what you mean. But if you look at the activity on this board the last month or two, you will see a slow down in overall participation. I have posted a lot about diversifying, etc. In all seriousness, we need to plan for the changes in the market. I'm very curious how others are doing, and what strategies they are using to keep themselves busy.

Sleepy has my philosophy, go with the flow and the energy, if the market is a little stagnant, find something else to occupy your mind, try getting work opportunities down other avenues if you need too, etc. Hunting and fishing is how I survived some slow times in my life in PA.

I have an install this week, but nothing for next week. I can see the tumbleweeds rolling through my town.

10. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

"I'm so flipping bored. That's the worst part of an economic slowdown. What do we do now? I'm rigging spare parts from my garage and putting lights around my yard. I should pull them out and put them back in like once a week just to stay in shape. I should do mini crop circles with lights in the back.

Lawns are dormant. Snow removal not in high demand.

I have an install later this week, I should spread it out to one fixture a day ("these things take time, mam"). Quote:
    Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting
    You do know a thing or two about lamp technology, energy efficiency, basic math, etc... right?

Not really. I just like the artsy creative side of the business."

Again, it looks like a bunch of whinning to me. It has gotten slow for some people but you are the only one dwelling on it.

For me personally, I have been struggling for 3 years in this business. Ever since this "Economic Slow Down" occured I have had the most consistant work and the busiest since I started my business. I finally have other professionals recognizing my work and recomending me.

Changes in the market??? James has a great suggestion. What more do you want?

I suggest you ADOPT Sleepy's philosophy - That means when the market is stagnant don't come whinning to us - do what he does.

Again, I hope I am not too offensive. "Snap out of it man!" focus on positive things not negative things. Lets see if you can go two months without
    up-dating us on the economy - let the mass media do that.
    ~Ned