boring a pipe under a asphalt driveway

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ant, Aug 26, 2012.

1. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Cut the driveway very neatly and replace the section that's cut out with nice cobblestone. That's what I usually do and customers are usually very happy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if done correctly, it can be done in minutes but you have to know what you're doing. :rolleyes:

3. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do a 20' 2" bore in minutes with a rod and hammer? How?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

you never mentioned a hammer in your statement, it can be done if you know what you're doing though.:)

5. muddywater

I agree it can be done, but I still think it would take half a day. The rod has to sit flat so a trench has to be hand dug(he doesn't want to rent any equipment) for probably 20' since a 2" metal rod isn't too flexible. And good lord that would be quite a few wacks to get it 20' under. And then how do you plan to pull it out?

I own a boring unit, and a 20' bore would take 2 man hours if everything went perfect and if I did not hit rock.

If I didn't have own boring unit I would rent one or sub it out. I hate making cuts in concrete or asphalt especially if it my own property. I can't imagine what my guys would be thinking if I pulled out a 20' pipe and told them to starting hammering.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

find an old time underground construction worker, if you're nice to him he just might tell you what the trick is.

7. muddywater

I am interested to know the trick, but since I have a boring unit I doubt I will be doing many long bores by hand.... been there done that... and its a hell of alot slower than a machine.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I hates boring under drives.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Why? Is it boring? ;)

Corny I know...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I talked to an old timer who told me about a process he called "spooning". It was some kind of U channel connected to an air hose and the tip would chisel the soil and the air would blow it back out the whole.

My brother hammered a 5" steel pipe under a road to connect his two fields using a demo hammer on his mini ex.
    Posted via Mobile Device