boring rod

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Feb 14, 2007.

1. The local supplier had a Sidewalk Sleever in stock for $100 and looked like it would do the trick going under sidewalks. Sometimes it is a pain loading up my 2310 trencher just so I can bore under just one sidewalk. So I made my own sidewalk sleever. I used a old boring rod that I had by welding some big washers on and made a tip in my lathe and welded the tip on also. The rod fits perfectly inside 1" sch 40 pipe. This is a 81" rod and I will make another rod that will be a 60". Once I use it I will report back on how it works.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Got one for 3" pipe? Oh... wait... guess I should post that in the utility installation forum. <JK> :laugh:
  3. I have a 3 1/2" back reamer..:cry:
    I tell my partner all about the crazy repair stuff you do..:clapping:
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We do have fun though. :dizzy:
  5. We used our homemade Sidewalk Sleever and went under a 5' sidewalk two times with 1" pipes in less than 10 min. total time. The soil was hard packed red clay and we used a 16lbs sledge hammer. If you cant make your own, I would recommend a Sidewalk Sleever for boring under side walks.
  6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work. I found a boring rod and will have to see if I can remember how to weld...
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

speaking of it. do you think one 20' long would work to make it under a drive way? I hate trying to find someone to drill for me. One reason I like newer housing.
  8. If used in sandy conditions I think it would be able to go 20'. The boring rods we used only come in 10' sections.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah it would be nice to do so but we have crappy clay hardpan here. It takes all i can do to get under a 5' sidewalk. Always nice to think about.
  10. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me when the sidewalk sleever first came out someone posted a link to big tent pole stakes for sale for something like $6 that looked identical. Had the double head on it already so you wouldn't need to weld on the big washers.