boring under a 20 ft driveway

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by superintendent, Sep 27, 2012.

1. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldnt do that with our clay rocky soils. Boring it is sometimes slow.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. superintendent

superintendent LawnSite Senior Member

I found a place that rents a mole. He said there nothing to it, for yall that have use them how hard or tricky is it the first time around?

3. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Well trajectory angle is fairly important. A mole works on fiction as it goes through the soil. If the mole its a soft spot or a gravel deposit it could start "swimming" and get stuck.

4. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

Something i've heard about the moles is that you need to be at least a foot down for every inch in diameter the mole is... something to keep in mind...

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Here's an interesting technical report: Guidelines For Impact Moling

They're recommending a depth of ten times the diameter of the bore or 3-4 feet, whichever is greater.

6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Angle it about 3 or 4 degrees downward angle , dig down at least 2 1/2 feet . Place the missile across the drive and mark on the hose with duct tape so you KNOW its past the end of the drive. ( when you mark have the missile past the end of the drive ) as its going if it starts sounding louder or the driveway starts to crack reverse it right away . If it gets stuck plan on a day getting it out . Good luck

8. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Try an Underwunder...portable boring machine, has maybe a 7 horse engine and gear reduction to drive drill pipe and bits. Can be used with or without water. Kinda looks like a pressure washer, but with a gear reduction and spring unit where the pump would be. May be at your local rental place.